Not a good sign

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Went to town hall to get plates on the new truck.

First thing the clerk said was "this is going to be a big one". :aiwebs_016: I was like thats not a good sign. She says never is on new cars. $1,100 later to the state and I have plates already. And that's on top of paying sales tax on it too! :BangHead:

Will only be $800 next year. :048:

I guess that's more than I pay a year on road tax, but we no longer even get the scrap of paper we used to get for that!

Even at my average 56MPG road fuel tax will easily add up to more than that every year for me. :(

It would be nice it they spent some of it on repairing roads/signage - Within 5 miles of my home there are at least 7 traffic islands that are effectively invisible at night (poorly lit & with the reflective signs now flat on the ground). Even just applying reflective paint to the curb stones would be a huge improvement in safety...

Last edited:
I guess that's more than I pay a year on road tax, but we no longer even get the scrap of paper we used to get for that!

Even at my average 56MPG road fuel tax will easily add up to more than that every year for me. :(

It would be nice it they spent some of it on repairing roads/signage - Within 5 miles of my home there are at least 7 traffic islands that are effectively invisible at night (poorly lit & with the reflective signs now flat on the ground). Even just applying reflective paint to the curb stones would be a huge improvement in safety...
Tire shops might be paying them to not fix them!

Tire shops might be paying them to not fix them!

I wouldn't be suprised & they probably also get a donation from body shops, recovery services, garages etc. Those on the A133 could easily be hit at 60mph, which would damage more than just the tyres.

Fortunately I think the locals are mostly aware enough of the things so avoid overtaking in the dark on the apparently convenient straight stretches.

It's my understanding that in Japan the fees increase as the car gets older. This policy has the effect of stimulating new car production and creating a thriving used car export market.

@benhasajeep Thank your lucky stars you don't live in GA. They charge a ONE TIME ad valorem for the life of the vehicle when you buy the car, or when you first move into the state. Son found out the hard way when he transferred to Atlanta 2 years ago.

My dually is registered for up to 26K because of the trailer. Tag and ad valorem for it is less than $400 per year.

Most reactions

Back