Not all Cameras are Created Equal.

I was talking to a high school photo teacher a while back.
In the beginning photo class, the students are only to use their phone camera.
The teacher told me, this was to get the students to recognize, that they do not need a fancy/expensive camera to get a good pic.
Most of the basics of photography can be taught with a box camera. The phone camera is the modern day equivalent of the box camera, point and click.
It's really too bad that there are such poor teachers still out there using archaic teaching techniques!
That teacher will handicap a room full of 30 students just to prove a personal point, mostly to themselves!
That SAME point can be made using a 1Dx/D5(etc.). What a learning experience lost for the students! No learning the basics of f-stops, ISO or the values of shutter speeds as they relate to motion blur. The students would learn more building and using a pin-hole camera!
I could understand it if it was billed as an iPhone class but I think it was not!!!
SS

I can see both arguments
  • Teach the art side of photography first. Then teach technical as a 2nd semester/year course.
  • Teach the technical side of photography, as it is a photography class not an art class. The student gets their art training in a separate art class.
I prefered the 2nd. But as I got older, I realize that I prefered the 2nd, because I am a techie and it was easier for me to learn tech than art. And I realize that I lost a lot by not getting the art training. Composition for me was and still is HARD. I can't just look at a scene, and quickly come up with a good image. I have to work HARD at coming up with even a decent composition.

Last edited:
Many beginners think that a "good camera" camera will elevate their pictures.
Many intermediate shooters think that a "good camera" camera will elevate their pictures.
Many advanced amateurs think that a "better camera" camera will elevate their pictures.

Few really seasoned shooters think that a "better camera" camera will elevate their pictures.

So in other words,
Ask not what the camera can do for you, ask what you can do with the camera.

In Search Of: Nikon D4, D4s, or D5, wiling to trade Nikon D610 straight across.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back