Not my best work but this is what I mostly use my camera for

SashaT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had accidently fallen asleep on my couch instead of going to bed and didn’t hear my alarm go off at 0330. When I awoke it was 0515, guess I am not going to get to the river by 8 I thought to myself. I threw my stuff in the car and headed out.

As I had been in Florida last week, I had missed the prime time for this specific place. I however went just to see if they just might still be in there. The drive there seemed to go by pretty slowly, I am not sure if it was my anticipation, or if it was the fact I was solo. Maybe it was the fact that I quit smoking ten days ago and wasn’t killing the time driving by smoking.

I made the turn on the dirt road and thought to myself sweet only about an hour left before I get there. Once there I wasted no time rigging up and heading to the water. I made several casts when something good size took my fly, I fought him for a bit before he managed to shake the hook. Hopefully the rest of the day wasn’t going to go like this but one thing was for sure; they were still there.

Several casts later I had another fish take the fly, this fish fought very nicely, after a little bit I was rewarded with this nice fish. Sorry for the crappy pics, it was low light, I had to be careful with this species and my damn camera body doesn’t have an autofocus motor. So as a result I have to manually focus with my 60mm 2.8 lens. I am seriously thinking of going to the camera store shortly and getting a new body.

DSC_3655_zps2e199be8.jpg

DSC_3657_zps84633b97.jpg

The next guy that came up was nice, too bad I had a real hard time managing him while trying to focus the camera.

DSC_3661_zps806650c0.jpg

After a few more I decided to take a break and get in some scenery shots.

DSC_3664_zps37376c30.jpg

DSC_3668_zps8047801c.jpg

While taking the scenery shots I noticed a fish rising at the far end of the run. I quickly grabbed my 3wt that was rigged up for dries and made some casts to him. Saw the rise and it was fish on; now given the bulls in this run I wanted to get him in quickly to avoid any bulls thinking he was live bait.

DSC_3674_zps232f8028.jpg

After that I went back to throwing streamers for the intended target. I really wish I would have done better on this shot.

DSC_3666_zpsfa87675e.jpg

I fished the run for a while longer catching several more before deciding to check out some other places. I took some more shots along the way.

DSC_3680_zps6d92ff0c.jpg

DSC_3681_zps745bc087.jpg

DSC_3682_zpsa6c8951b.jpg

DSC_3684_zps74675a74.jpg

The additional areas I fished weren’t holding any bulls. However there were plenty of other fish that were all too happy to take a dry.

DSC_3679_zps004ca3a2.jpg

After coming up short in the bull category at the other spots, I decided to go back to the first place and get a few more before heading home. Not really wanting the added weight or to mess around trying to get pics, I put my camera away and just fished. It was quite nice just enjoying the few additional fish that I was able to catch. Then before I knew it the day was over. Funny, how when we are out and about doing what we enjoy how the hours just fly by. I made the drive back to my house getting home just before dark, I may just have to head back there next week and see if they are still there.

That's what I miss most about Colorado, fishing for trout in the South Platte.
They didn't come close to what you have in Idaho but it was great fun fishing small dries.
That was a strange river and the fish spooked at anything bigger than an 18 and fishing 21 or 22 terrestrials wasn't unusual.
I miss that wading the rivers and still have all my rods.

Not bad, but you are lacking a sense of scale in the fish pics. Sounds like a nice morning fishing though. I'm mad keen on my sea fishing so I dont take my good camera out with me when I go as it can get wet and wild over here fast out on the coast and normally it gets pretty messy with bait

Looks like a great day in a beautiful spot. Can't ask for more. The worst day fishin' beats the hell out of the best day mowin' the lawn.

Thanks all, it was really fun and I just love being out there away from it all.

Oh and I no longer have to worry about not being able to autofocus when I need too as I made a little pit stop today :D

DSC_3687_zps03e7889b.jpg

DSC_3688_zps7d72e0a6.jpg

The battery is charging as I type this.

It was a good day! The autofocus will help you quite a bit. If you can, take a buddy along and let them handle the fish while you shoot over their shoulder. You catch it, they land it, you shoot it. And then when it gets away too early, you can always blame it on their landing skills. ;)

Thanks all, it was really fun and I just love being out there away from it all.

Oh and I no longer have to worry about not being able to autofocus when I need too as I made a little pit stop today :D

The battery is charging as I type this.

Nice.

It was a good day! The autofocus will help you quite a bit. If you can, take a buddy along and let them handle the fish while you shoot over their shoulder. You catch it, they land it, you shoot it. And then when it gets away too early, you can always blame it on their landing skills. ;)

Yes I actually do this quite a bit when I can. I have some really good looking (to me at least) pictures where I had my friend hoding my fish while I shot it. I have also given my friend the camera a few times and held the fish. I really dont count those pics though as I set the camera to auto before handing it to him.

Most reactions

Back