Not so green

while farting like a banshee.!

I am more inclined toward the first one. I'd give you a good reason but the cow I was milking kicked me in the head and I'm not thinking clearly. Maybe I'm not leading a charmed life.

I am more inclined toward the first one. I'd give you a good reason but the cow I was milking kicked me in the head and I'm not thinking clearly. Maybe I'm not leading a charmed life.

LOL, I think you photographer types have far too romantic ideas, we're quite mechanised, (even in deepest Somerset). When my bro-in-law wants some milk he doesn't reach for the three legged stool, but goes to the big stainless steel tank in the milking shed. The old oak apple press in the old barn though... ;);)

beautiful and sad. I wish humans were much more kind to the Earth

To quote John Prine "And they wrote it down as the progress of man." :(
Was the whole turbine field cleared of trees, or was it just this little area?

You did an outstanding job on these, they tell a story in every way!

Was the whole turbine field cleared of trees, or was it just this little area?

The second looks SE to the main bulk of Black Law wind Farm which is about 54 turbines (though the nearest turbines are part of the phase 1 extension). The first image is NE towards the phase 1 extension of 23 turbines for which 560 hectares of forestry were cleared (essentially from where I'm standing to the furthest turbine ;)).

But being fair and because I presented a slightly biased view, I would add that it was a Forestry Commission plantation, trees that were planted to be harvested. Though the Forestry Commission farm by clearing smaller areas and re-planting.

The second looks SE to the main bulk of Black Law wind Farm which is about 54 turbines (though the nearest turbines are part of the phase 1 extension). The first image is NE towards the phase 1 extension of 23 turbines for which 560 hectares of forestry were cleared (essentially from where I'm standing to the furthest turbine ;)).

But being fair and because I presented a slightly biased view, I would add that it was a Forestry Commission plantation, trees that were planted to be harvested. Though the Forestry Commission farm by clearing smaller areas and re-planting.

560 Hectares is a lot of trees! :aiwebs_016:
I am really back and forth on wind turbines, to me they are kinda the lesser of two evils. It seems like there are better ways if they would just try it.

Great photos, and thanks for the info. :)

Really interesting. Good stuff. Love the first one the most.

Wind turbines are bird killers but for the most part, once erected most are pretty much maintenance free. I know a lot of folks who use them on cabins out in the boondocks in conjunction with Solar panels because there's no other way to get electricity. Where they are put up in the US, they get lots of raptors though like any animal, they learn to avoid those huge propellers.

Wind turbines are bird killers but for the most part, once erected most are pretty much maintenance free. I know a lot of folks who use them on cabins out in the boondocks in conjunction with Solar panels because there's no other way to get electricity. Where they are put up in the US, they get lots of raptors though like any animal, they learn to avoid those huge propellers.

A bit of an urban myth, as though they do kill birds domestic cats kill approximately 10,000x more per year.

The biggest problem is that they are not efficient. One turbine can power 1000 homes, but only when the wind is blowing so it's at it's most efficient. So assuming that they are at their most efficient all the time it would take a minimum of 4,000 sq miles of wind farms just to satisfy the domestic requirement of the UK, nearly 15% of the total area of Scotland, (100 acres per turbine, 1000 homes per turbine, and 25 million homes).

Very nice Tim, I also like the juxtaposition and how you've kept just a bit of movement in the turbine blades.

:) Yes, and quite deliberate, they become a little more 'tree' shaped.

Most reactions

Back