Toast95135

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_1249.jpg

I like this picture, but It needs to be cropped somehow (or maybe not) =/

Any suggestions?

It's colorful, and a bit busy. I think it would be a nice photo without the people, personally. Maybe you could go back and shoot this again?

I agree with you, I would go back and reshoot it but thats back home (7 hours away). I was there a few weeks ago for a funeral, so it would be kinda hard to do.

If the folks in the picture are important to the scene, which I assumed they were, this is my take on it.

toast-1.jpg

Well --- the suggested crop would not have been mine, Arrow...
The people have feet in the original photo, why do you make the cropped version look like a photo where the photographer did not watch to include people's feet in his frame? To me to cut off people's feet (and only feet) is one of the cardinal errors in photography.

But I do admit that the original allows for some cropping of the left. Maybe crop out the row of three flowers (two yellow with strelizia) and from below to still include the grave with the tulips ... and then see if you would need to crop in a bit from above to maintain the standard print sizes. That could be worth a try.

Well --- the suggested crop would not have been mine, Arrow...
The people have feet in the original photo, why do you make the cropped version look like a photo where the photographer did not watch to include people's feet in his frame? To me to cut off people's feet (and only feet) is one of the cardinal errors in photography.

Reasoning is thus - I did not consider the feet to be a critical portion of the image. I did not think they added to or subtracted from the whole thing. However leaving the feet in the picture meant leaving the tops of a few bright flowers on the bottom of the image, which I found to be very distracting, of course they could be done away with by other means but....

Is cropping body parts from an original image a photography cardinal no-no?

Just my thoughts.

This is a toughie because the color is at the periphery.

I would crop it like this with the statue art the right third and the men at the left, perhaps balancing each other - with the flowers at the lower edge. The men being oblivious to the statue brings something to the image.

I would crop to 4 x 5 because IMO it is a more natural look than the 3:3 of the original.

Next year, I would bring a 12 foot ladder and shoot this from a high angle.

dsc1249croppedkl3.jpg

I was going to do a sort of wide-angle-ish crop, but the quality isn't good enough.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back