Not sure I am liking

We have to challenge our beliefs from time to time.

For example, on one hand, we often criticize a noob's pic for having blown out highlights or no shadow detail. HDR is the perfect solution. Over-cooked HDR is just a different, surreal way to look at that frame in time. It's like caviar or good scotch: not for everyone.

How about black and white? Now that we can shoot in color with no effort at all, wouldn't black and white be considered the same type of post processing? It is just a color photo with ALL of the saturation removed. Yes, it is more traditional, but it is akin to washing out the colors to look like an old Polaroid. It's just the older version of it.

There's nothing in photography that I love more than a good black and white people pic.

We have to challenge our beliefs from time to time.

For example, on one hand, we often criticize a noob's pic for having blown out highlights or no shadow detail. HDR is the perfect solution. Over-cooked HDR is just a different, surreal way to look at that frame in time. It's like caviar or good scotch: not for everyone.

How about black and white? Now that we can shoot in color with no effort at all, wouldn't black and white be considered the same type of post processing? It is just a color photo with ALL of the saturation removed. Yes, it is more traditional, but it is akin to washing out the colors to look like an old Polaroid. It's just the older version of it.

There's nothing in photography that I love more than a good black and white people pic.

Love black and whites!! I think there is a difference in the yellowish looking vintage look. I'm not saying I haven't seen some good vintage one's, but a lot of them have so much yellow in them. It's all preference :)

When HDR is used with the intentions of the original design, some images are really brought out and in many case you cant tell between HDR and good clean adjustment layer processing in PS.

That being said - I do not use HDR at all, but like many styles and techniques, I do appreciate the technology being used.

As far as selective color - this can be done tastefully as well, but as mentioned, people just jump on it and......well.......you know.

I just looked at your website Joey and I personally like selective color. I love your photo of the couple, the lady wearing the mans shirt and in blue. That is a good example of selective color. had you not done selective color in this image, I would have not paid much attention to the lady wearing the oversized man's shirt. Love it.

Thank you, I appreciate it and the way you mentioned how you wouldn't have noticed it otherwise - That was definately the intention with those samples.

This is actually a good discussion thus far in this thread.

I really love all different styles of processing, including B&W, sepia, selective, high and low key, faded, washed etc.
With that said, I think a lot of people, when they get frustrated processing, often turn to an alternate style just to save an image in some way or another. Nothing wrong with that in the attempt itself, but some images are just not suited for certain styles. All subjective ofcourse and depends on who is viewing.

The other thing is, shadows and highlights - That is the world we live in. There is light, and where there is light, there are shadows and highlights. Often people using HDR almost completely eliminate shadows robbing the image of emotion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back