Novice looking for suggestions

Irishlck22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!
I am new to photography and recently purchased a Canon Rebel SL1 DSLR camera. I was torn between this model and the Nikon D3300, but ultimately went with Canon due to the compact size. I am now doing more research and it seems that users feel that the Nikon D3300 has better picture quality, which I would think would be the most important component. Has anyone had experience with both cameras and would recommend one over the other?

Many thanks!
Erin

I am fairly new to photography too, with a DLSR anyway I have a Nikon D5100 and the reason I picked it firstly was because both my father and brother have Nikons. A film type SLR from the 80's and a DSLR respectively and I could swap/borrow there lenses and two there was an offer on.

Canon SL1 vs Nikon D3300 - Our Analysis

It seems like the Nikon is better,

Just Google Canon Model v Nikon Model

Thank you so much! That is what I am taking away from reading the reviews as well. When I purchased the camera, I was told that the two were essentially comparable and it would come down to a matter of which one was a better fit, handling wise. I too from reading the reviews am getting the feeling that the Nikon is better, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Have you found that you are changing lenses frequently? Thank you!

Don't believe the hype.

Your Canon will be fine. The difference between them is not so much what the numbers suggest but how you use it. Skill is very important, as are lenses. No point in looking over at other brands now. You have a good camera, enjoy.

Where are you based

Well I only have one lens really a 18-55 kit that came with the camera but I have my brothers nikon 55-200 mm that he doesn't really use at all. Those two give me good options, I fined that I use the 55-200 most often but I also my best photos were taken with the 18-55 just because it suited the scenario better, I had more control over the scene. Having a plan before go out in this regard is important but not vital.

It all depends on what you like doing yourself, I like taking birds wildlife going to rallies and other auto events so you need the telephoto there. The lenses I use have there limitations but you have to get over that. I'm in a camera club and I have noticed that allot of people have 18-108mm lenses, I'm not sure of the exact zoom figure but they are basically two lenses in one. They are more convenient then having two lenses but they also have there sort comings.

Most cameras will come with a kit lens, usually the 18-55 but it depends on the deal and your'e budget of course, there's no point going mad and buying big bazooka type telephotos if you prefer doing insects, flowers, (macro),( the 18-55 has some macro capabilities) or portrait photos. It is important to learn the capabilities of the camera, anybody can jump into a JCB and dig a hole but not everyone can spell there names with one.

The other comments about having a good camera now are very valid, if Canon were a bad brand they would'nt sell anything it is really like comparing Honda and Toyota.

Last edited:
Don't believe the hype.

Your Canon will be fine. The difference between them is not so much what the numbers suggest but how you use it. Skill is very important, as are lenses. No point in looking over at other brands now. You have a good camera, enjoy.

Where are you based
+1.

The differences in image quality between the SL1 and the D3300 are pretty subtle. If photos of the same scene are made using each camera it's not likely you would be able to tell which camera made which photo, unless told.

As mentioned photographer skill and knowledge have a lot to do with the image quality any camera can produce.

There are some technical differences between the 2 cameras that affect usability with the D3300 being somewhat more versatile than the SL1.
Again though, photographer skill and knowledge are needed to take advantage of that versatility.

Don't believe the hype.

Where are you based
+1.

The differences in image quality between the SL1 and the D3300 are pretty subtle. If photos of the same scene are made using each camera it's not likely you would be able to tell which camera made which photo, unless told.

As mentioned photographer skill and knowledge have a lot to do with the image quality any camera can produce.

+1

Those two cameras are so close in quality that it wont matter. Image quality is important yes, but all entry-level DSLR's have good quality. Most sharpness and contrast will come from the way the photos are taken, that is, the light, composition, and exposure settings. In the end, the compact size will do more for you than a difference in quality you can't see.

You have already made the purchase so don't worry about any other camera. Just learn how to use your new camera, take a lot of pictures, enjoy.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to share your input! I am going to stick with the Canon Rebel SL1 as I am more comfortable with the size and feel of it and because of that, I believe I will use it more frequently. If you aren't comfortable using/handling the camera then what good will it be to you after all.

Thanks again!
Erin

As others have said, pick one that's comfortable to hold and learn how to use it.

I agree with the others. Even if the Nikon can be a bit better, stick with your option and avoid following the trap of "the green is always greener on the other side". This is very common in photography, and both Nikon and Canon are just great.

The only thing you have to do is to improve your skills. With no good skills, both Nikon and Canon will suck just the same. With good skills, you can master whatever camera with no worries,

Hello!
I am new to photography and recently purchased a Canon Rebel SL1 DSLR camera. I was torn between this model and the Nikon D3300, but ultimately went with Canon due to the compact size. I am now doing more research and it seems that users feel that the Nikon D3300 has better picture quality, which I would think would be the most important component. Has anyone had experience with both cameras and would recommend one over the other?

Many thanks!
Erin

Hey Erin--welcome.

I'm a long-time Nikon shooter, big fan of the brand, and I say.....you don't need to switch. You can get fine photos with what you've got. The quality is due more to the skill of the photographer and the lens than it is the body. Most photographers have "gear envy" at some point where the voice in the back of their head tells them they need the latest/greatest or at minimum, need to upgrade. Don't listen to that voice.

Ed

I use and love Nikon, learn to use and love the Canon you have bought it, it won't let you down

It is difficult to buy a "bad" camera these days. Everything is good. This wasn't always true back in the days when sensors had low resolution, poor ISO performance, etc. But today, just about everything currently on the market does well in all areas.

What really makes the difference is your skill using a camera, exposure, composition, and lighting... followed by lens choices. The camera body tends to make the least difference.

When you buy a new house, nobody thinks to ask the builder if their carpenters used Makita power tools vs. DeWalt power tools -- because frankly you probably don't believe it makes much difference. The difference is in the skill of the carpenters and builders. It's like that with cameras too... the skill of the photographer is what really counts. It's not that there is no difference between camera models, but the difference is in the minutiae. For cameras which are intended to compete in the same class or price-range, the differences are minor. There is a more significant difference between cameras not intended to be in the same class (e.g. entry level camera vs. flagship model camera.)

It is a solid camera. Like other people have mentioned todays cameras all have very comparable image quality for the respective price range. Focus on learning how to see and photograph in quality light (or create it :D). That is where the image quality comes from. I have taken horrible pictures with my 5d MkIII and seen worse off of a D4(even though I think you need to try to make this happen on the D4) yet seen amazing work come off an iphone in the right light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back