Now trying more Street Candid & People - Insights and Feelings on it appreciated

orb9220

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just recently trying to force myself of being more open to doing some candid street.
And still have some personal hangups? about when appropriate?

As Street Vendors,Performers & Musicians give me the least amount of uneasiness to photograph.
And generally shot without problems.

Street Cello by orb9220, on Flickr

2011 Saturday Market Weekend Opening 03 of 19 by orb9220, on Flickr

But individuals even in obvious public view? Then seems to be a gray area on how I feel about shooting them. At to what level or degree of respecting ones privacy? And many times find it gets in the way of me taking the shot.

Thinking Next Move Pioneer Square by orb9220, on Flickr

Staying Warm Anyway Possible by orb9220, on Flickr

Or the biggest block is wanting to also capture and convey the plight of the homeless or other's needing help. But trying to do it without identifying the unfortunate. Or is it just bad form to take any pictures of those in a bad situation?

Despair by orb9220, on Flickr

Homeless Sleep in the Sun by orb9220, on Flickr

So any insights,observations to help me get over my self-consciousness? Your rules or guidelines?Or comments or critiques on getting better. As I am finding some satisfaction in trying more of it. But want to extract more joy and less doubt in taking the shots.

Thanks

Last edited:
not to take anything away from your pictures,
but i really dont think anyone can take a bad picture of a cello! they are SUCH beautiful instruments!

with that said, i really enjoyed the 1st, 3rd, and 5th pictures the most. beautiful work!

Man, you live in Portland, the best city to capture street scenes. Well, it's the most hippy town I've ever been to, so you will always run into something that is out of the ordinary by regular standards.

I appreciate the contrast in the colors and value that you are trying to bring out in the photos. The cropping can be improved however, like the man playing chess and the homeless sleeping on the side walk. I think both can have more generous cropping, now they feel clipped.

Thanks for the replies. And yep in my static shooting always looking for that something a tad different.
And try to stay away from the same as everybody else type shots. But that is a part of my learning to see and try to capture that uniquely me take on a composition. But still fumbling with the self-conscious thing shooting people.

But will continue to trying new things and listen to feedback from others. On how to improve my skill set.
Again thanks for taking the time to chime in with your observations and comments.

I really like your photos - they convey such emotion! I understand your issue with photographing people at random. I have the same problem... I just keep thinking "how would I like it if someone I didn't know took my photo?" but then I get over it and take their photo anyway, lol. Good job! I also like your post-processing of the photos as well!

I think each of your photos has something the other one doesn't,
I really enjoyed looking at these.
They all are very interesting.

Really nice pictures. I have the same problem, and end up being too shy to shoot :( .

Taking street photography is difficult in itself, I can see why it would be akward to take photos of strangers, be polite, if you really want to take a photo of someone and you feel weird doing so without them knowing it then ask for permission, most of the time people love getting their photos taken, even offer to ask for their email address so you can email your work to them. Bring a high zoom lense so you can take photos from afar, this will give you that natural look, if the subjects catches you taking their photo a big smile usually helps ! Last advise I can give you is to have fun ! remember these people will probably never see you again, so don't be afraid to push that shutter button.

Nino Gaerlan

Nino G. Photography

www.ninogphotography.com

I think you are a fine, fine shooter orb. Very talented.

Thanks All for the kind words and your perspectives on street shooting!

But been in a few other forums and many consider it Rude,Creepy and Disrespectful and a violation of their privacy too shoot people unawares. The other half consider it a necessary form of photography to record Society and states of culture. To Inform show display the Human Condition. To document and chronicle the world around us which includes Humans.

I'm on the fence as see both sides of the argument. And I seem to give less credence good or bad too people that base their belief based on personal feelings,biases and and unsubstantiated fears. Way too many seem to respond from unfounded fears and paranoia. Instead of rationale thought.

But starting to get that "It's Not Worth the Hassle" feeling and will probably do less of the candid street in the future. As too me the society at large is just too paranoid and reacting on unfounded fears for me to put a lot in getting the shot. Some disagree with asking permission first as missed opportunity of the moment. Or interacting with subjects changes the very nature of the type of shooting trying to achieve. Is it still candid? when they are aware of having the picture taken?

Like I said I do find recording Humans an interesting endeavor. But I fear it will have to be done by someone with thicker skin and less qualms than me. As have my own fears,phobias and irrational feelings to deal with. Which is a full time job! ;)

Thanks All for the kind words and your perspectives on street shooting!

But been in a few other forums and many consider it Rude,Creepy and Disrespectful and a violation of their privacy too shoot people unawares. The other half consider it a necessary form of photography to record Society and states of culture. To Inform show display the Human Condition. To document and chronicle the world around us which includes Humans.

I'm on the fence as see both sides of the argument. And I seem to give less credence good or bad too people that base their belief based on personal feelings,biases and and unsubstantiated fears. Way too many seem to respond from unfounded fears and paranoia. Instead of rationale thought.

But starting to get that "It's Not Worth the Hassle" feeling and will probably do less of the candid street in the future. As too me the society at large is just too paranoid and reacting on unfounded fears for me to put a lot in getting the shot. Some disagree with asking permission first as missed opportunity of the moment. Or interacting with subjects changes the very nature of the type of shooting trying to achieve. Is it still candid? when they are aware of having the picture taken?

Like I said I do find recording Humans an interesting endeavor. But I fear it will have to be done by someone with thicker skin and less qualms than me. As have my own fears,phobias and irrational feelings to deal with. Which is a full time job! ;)

your work is very good. i love street photography. i love candid shots that are unknown to the subject. sometimes those are the best. it is also good to engage people sometimes. people do like that and portland is a great place to do that. i would suggest trying to meet up with my boy sekkle here. he is in portland and a pro at hitting the streets.

but as an artist i would suggest to do what you think is art and not worry about the interpretation of others. if you like it and your didnt physically hurt anyone then its probably okay. plus taking pictures of people in public places is completely legal.

These are lovely images. They truly are. Do you mind me asking about your editing process? The golden touch adds a beautiful feel to it, especially in the first. Congrats on some beautiful images!

Thanks all for the words of encouragement.
For post processing used some of lightroom 3 presets and then my own curves adjustment.
Then may or may not apply a vignetting level 1 or 2 preset.
The top one is using the Yesteryear2 preset.

As still pretty not very knowledgeable with all the power of Lightroom 3 yet.

Why do you take the shots of the downtrodden? There is a sight called photophilanthropy that uses photos like yours to make people aware of issues in their community and the world. If it were me I would take them to make the people in them less invisible. We can't sell them, so the pretty and funny people are just practice.

Most reactions

Back