Now Where Did That Dang Lens Cap Go? A Query for All

Left jacket or pants pocket. Lost my first last week in Boston, a Vivitar original off my 24mm. I have a problem with a runny nose no mater what the season & I figure the cap came out with a tissue. :(

Either a pants/jacket pocket, or if I'm going to be using the same lens for an extended period, in my camera bag. Or I'll hand it to my wife who's usually always with me while I shoot as the "Official-un-Official-Hobbyist Assistant".

Mine stays in my left rear pants pocket because it fits there nice, and I never put anything else there. Or, if I have my camera bag with/near me then it goes in the pocket that the lens came out of.

I wear a waterproof clear plastic pouch around my neck which holds my mobile phone. When shooting i put the lens cap in there. I used to have it in my pocket but fell out on the sand. Paranoid I left it there and purchased a new cap.

1% of the time I'm butt naked, so I leave it in the camera bag.

I think you misunderstand what is meant by artistic nude photography...

No one admitting to using the "cap keepers" - nylon type strings attached to the lens, with an circular elastisized band that wraps around the lens? The hood swings in the wind as you do your shooting. :lol:

I totally use lens cap tethers, though sometimes they can be a pain (switching orientation, for example) but it's better than losing a cap. I didn't realize so many people DIDN'T use them. I've never actually paid for them, I got a few with some used gear I bought at a charity sale, but if they aren't ridiculously overpriced, I would probably have bought some anyway. For me, the less I have to put in pockets or worry about stowing, the better.

If I keep mine in my pocket, condensation accumulates on it (I work and take photos in a greenhouse). I always worry about that, so I just throw it anywhere, and have the magical ability to remember where I set it down.

Orrrr I temporarily lose it, get frustrated, then promptly find it. haha

Front cap is off all the time when Im on a job. I just use the hood when stored in the bag without front cap unless it is the 70-200. The rear cap is the only one I put on and off all the time and I leave it in the bag.

Back left pocket. Always. The one not occupied by my wallet.

Not to sound like your mother, or anyone's mother. But you shouldn't keep your wallet in your back pocket. It can throw your spine out of alignment when sitting, especially driving. I found this out the hard way.:thumbup:

+1 on that, i had pretty bad sciatica problems from it when i was only 18. switched to one of those money clips with the leather card holder attached. stays in my front right pocket, phone in the left, lens cap in the back right.

Interesting that so many use their rear pocket for the cap. I'd rather not take the chance of sitting on it, especially on a hard surface, and potentially cause a stress fracture or worse. The Nikon caps are spring-loaded to pinch in the middle and that is another element that could be damaged. Maybe I'm just paranoid or clumsy or forgetful.

Tell the truth, am I the only one here that will admit to a "clothing optional" policy while shooting (at home of course)? :biglaugh:

Of course I lost my lens cap last night after posting in this thread.

Back left pocket usually, or left front pocket if I don't have my phone with me for music (which I usually do).

That's for bugs. If shooting family inside of my own house I put it on top of the computer cabinet (where I also store the camera).

Left leg patch pocket. I live in 5.11's. When on the sidelines or court side I also always have a vest on, so then they go in the top left breast pocket. That pocket has 3 inner mesh pockets designed to hold up to a 77mm filter in cases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back