bulldurham

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(This is for the over 30 +-+ ish crowd.)

Number-Nine-Number-Nine-Number-Nine.jpg

IMO, this is a documentary shot and, as such, one should be really aware of technical problems - even small ones.
There are sharpening halos (and a tiny clockwise rotation of the horizon)

upload_2016-2-3_8-14-37.png

IMO, this is a documentary shot and, as such, one should be really aware of technical problems - even small ones.
There are sharpening halos (and a tiny clockwise rotation of the horizon)

View attachment 115264

Just curious, what made you look for that? I don't see it in the original photo... did you download it and zoom in and why?

If you enlarge a photo so that you can see individual pixels you will see edge effects. I do not think these are sharpening halos, merely the normal edge detail that cannot be avoided. Importantly, these are not visible if the image is not enlarged to reveal individual pixels and so not even slightly important.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

Interesting observation but I don't sharpen so am curious as to how this may have occurred. I will check the PS tiff file and have a look. As to the horizon, it depends on what you choose as the actual horizon line and rather than the waterline where it meets the shore, I chose the line where the base of the trees meets the "ground." It is quite indistinct but again will have a gander. Everything is possible, eh?

So, at 300% on the original tiff file, if there is a haloing effect it has to be from the jpeg compression. I thought at first it might have been a artifact from the SEP2 effect I used when I brushed out the sky from another method to retain the fog effect and not get the grain that comes with SEP in some instances, but it was not there. I went through each layer panel but could not find where this might have occurred other than the compression. I do use Tony Kuyper's export to web action but have found that to be almost foolproof. My recent Osprey shots are exported exactly the same way. The horizon line is as I stated earlier. If it's off, it's only by less than 1/2 degree if even that.

9 detail.jpg

So, at 300% on the original tiff file, if there is a haloing effect it has to be from the jpeg compression.

Or re-sizing after you do the final sharpen.

I so rarely diverge from my general workflow that for the life of me I cannot figure out why it appears to have done it here, but not on my other exports to web. So, as a test, I am seeing if this is a result of using SEP2 as a part of this workflow that I don't normally use in my color images. Four images. The first is the original post TK sharpened, the second reworked for some contrast adj with SEP2 and TK sharpen action, the third is same image as the second though conventionally sharpened and the last no SEP2, reworked for contrast but TK sharpened.
Number-Nine-Number-Nine-Number-Nine.jpg no-9-tk-sharp.jpg 9-sharpn-reg.jpg num-9-no-sep.jpg

Most reactions

Back