NYC C&C Please

eevoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't done any editing on these photos and my tripod is very weak... I got it for $20 =X (I have no money!! I'm only a student!!) With that said...

NYC taken from Brooklyn. I took it today thinking the weather was nice and all but it was kind of foggy. Since I'm a beginner, I used a Nikon D200 with an 18-105mm lens. It came out a bit grainy and I was hoping for a bluer sky. Oh yeah, I couldn't get close to the shore bc the park closed at 4:30pm... I had to stand outside the fence and stick my lens through the gap.

4271093648_c9b5e5cb00.jpg

NYC taken from Staten Island. This was taken about a week ago and the weather was horrible. It was extremely windy and I found it really hard focus. I would say Staten Island is a bit too far from the city.

4271094882_e423a32a77.jpg

and... just for fun this was also taken in Staten Island.

4270350701_d7ac528b3d.jpg

They look pretty good to me....

You should post links to full size images for better critiques becase its impossible to see the real issues without a larger shot..

But you are on the right path.. NYC presents some of the best photo opertunities out there...

The flatiron building is just awesome.... like in the recent shot from Trey Rattcliff - HDR - see the bottom of this page or close to it... Stuck In Customs HDR Photography - I was born in NYC - maybe I should visit again....

Keep shooting and posting its a great way to learn.....

hmm i dunno how to edit photos yet so I'll have to hold off on HDR images.

I noticed that the D200 takes pretty grainy night shots. Is this just my camera or is the D200 known for this?

I'd like to see the pictures at a higher res to see the buildings properly.
But from the looks of it, they're sharp and would make an excellent panoramic print if cropped.

The lean (which there does seem to be one - might be from the aformentioned inexpensive tripod....I would just verify that the tripod is level and the head portion is actually level - I have seen many that lean in the past...

the shadow of the fence in your first shot adds a lot to this image imo. had you tilted your camera down a bit to raise the horizon and emphasize the foreground it would have been a less static photograph.

I'm not really seeing the lean but its definitely a problem with my tripod. I usually never check the leveler to see if my camera is leveled bc the pictures actually come out looking more tilted than if I were to use my eyes.

To give you an idea of how weak my tripod is, I basically cant even extend my tripod at all or else the pictures come out looking like this
4271739537_480de29ccd_b.jpg

And here are the larger pics. I'm not sure if this is full size - I dont really know how to work flickr yet.
@joeprice - I guess they're not sharp enough for a panaromic print now that you see them at a higher res =/

4271093648_c9b5e5cb00_b.jpg

4271094882_e423a32a77_b.jpg

4270350701_d7ac528b3d_b.jpg

thanks for all the critiques and comments

I like them but im afraid i also see the lean.... pesky tri pod get into the booz again?

1. Is the bright line in the upper left a plane flying through your long exposure? I find it cool and distracting at the same time, not sure how i feel about it. Otherwise i like the blue sky but as mentioned some of it could be croped for a nice panoramic.

2. Really like the color of the clouds.
3. Probly my favorite, cool idea.

yeah it is a plane

what is the cheapest but sturdy tripod available? Lets say I'm searching on Ebay. What material am I looking for?

I am biased, I _LOVE_ NY!

My favorite is definitely #3, it made me stop and LOOK and THINK (it smells burnt here, now)

:-D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back