hey bnz506. i'm a beginner and i'm trying to challenge myself to see things more creatively...so we are on the same boat.
you were right about the architecture being weird...interesting as well.
i would try playing around with cropping differently as well as maybe rotating the image around some.
i think you have located a cool location to shoot but that particular angle of the shot might not be the one you are looking for.
the original crop you posted....maybe extend the left of the image..so the stair railing doesnt get cut off.
i think i like the wide version better, but the other one is really nice too.... i think having the people helps the photo though, otherwise it would maybe be a little boring looking, the people add interest
Ah, this photo of some modern architecture makes me itch to play with it (with your original more than the crop which I find came out too narrow) ... there is something in there ... though I get the feeling that actually I want to "push you to the right" so you change your POV some more and play more deliberately with the two curved handrails there, creating something very graphic with those lines.
Hey Nice Shot, very cool subject. I think having the people in there help the picture. I don't know which picture I like better but the original color version give a much better sense of height which I like.