fadingaway1986

I Burn Easily :(
Reaction score
Website
www.06photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there.
I am looking into courses at the moment - and I basically need to know what I get out of the New York Institute of Photography course at the end of it... Do I get some sort of Degree?

I need to know, because courses here in Australia are either rediculously priced, too far away to get to, or not available to me (because I am not smart enough to get into them)...

So I am looking at the NYIP courses... They are about half the cost of the cheapest course I have been able to find in Australia. ($2800)...

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Alecia.

By the way - Do you really need a degree to be a photographer? Or do you think people more go on your portfolio and not some piece of paper that says you have done something?

Hi! I know nothing about courses you described, but I think that paper isn't so important. I was born in 1986 (you have the same date in your nick, so I thin that you are my age) and now I have to choose university. I was thinking about photography high school here in Poland. But then I talked to pro-photographers, I show them my photos and they said, that I wo't have big difficulities to get to the photography school. So I was proud of this. And now I know that my photos are quite ok, that I'mmaybe better than normal people taking photos, but I dont need any papers. I'm going to technical university to study electronics and telecommunication. It'll give me much more that only photography courses.

Cool. Unfortunately I can't get into university here, because Australia is dumb...

We have a system with things called OP's (Overall Position). Basically when you leave year 12 - the education system gives you a number (based on how smart you are - and also how wonderful the school you went to was)... Seeing as i went to one of the worst schools i could think of - we're not doing too great... The scores are ranked between 1 and 25. 1 being the best, 25 being the worst... I came out with 17. (Which is partly because I hardly ever did my work)...

I looked at a university course - you need a 5 to get in. (Unless you have money - then its an 8)...

So yeah. I kinda need an alternative to that...

I can go to TAFE - which is basically a technical college - but it is on the other side of the city - about an hour away - and that would interfere with work, therefore I would not be able to afford the course...

Oh well.. Hopefully I will find something.

Personally I have no degree in Photography (mine's in Marketing) but I'm still semi-pro. I shoot for a local newspaper. Just won a statewide contest too. A degree may help open some doors but its your pictures that get and keep the job.

Best of luck to ya!

fadingaway1986 said:
danalec99 said:

Thanks for that,
Seems like everyone is happy with it.. But still not sure if you get some sort of degree...

But I don't know if you need a degree anyway. And I suppose telling people "I studied at the New York Institute of Photography" sounds pretty cool...

You will get a certificate saying that you are a "Professional Photographer" after your completion.
This is not a Bachelors or Masters degree course.

All the best in picking your course and school!

One other idea on a photog course. Take an associates degree in Communications or some such from an online University (University of Maryland University College takes international students). Just make sure they are accredited. Then you should be able to get into college there at home.

I just got married last Feb. We spent a total of $3,500 US on the photography. That did not include Bridals, but we bought the "original" digital images.

This clown was relatively unprofessional on the shoot/didn't know how to handle people and his work had a lackluster tendancy, (he brought in a muslin and a couple of heads to shoot some "studio" photos. The lighting was great, the composition sucked and in some shots the back light was showing and you could see that he ran out of background on the side of the photograph...yeah, I'm not pissed about this, am I?)

On top of that, many of the prints sucked because, as far as I can tell, the digital camera he used has a big problem with contrast - but ANYWAY.

This guy has no certifications or degrees AT ALL, yet he commands a pretty steep price, IMO. NYIP seems to be a great resource to LEARN what you're doing. Once you've completed the course, you can put C.P.P on your business cards and it looks spiffy. But I would tell you to do it to broaden your experience. And I think the price is pretty nice considering all the materials you get and you get assigned a "teacher" to corresponde with.

I have no clue as to the quality of courses and such.

My only comment is that the ads I saw for NYIP in magazines really didn't impress me. Kind of reaffirms my belief that you can't be taught artistry, only techniques.

Just my humble opinion.

jadin said:
I have no clue as to the quality of courses and such.

My only comment is that the ads I saw for NYIP in magazines really didn't impress me. Kind of reaffirms my belief that you can't be taught artistry, only techniques.

Just my humble opinion.
Yeah, but the business side can be taught. And it is covered. I haven't taken the courses, but many people swear by them.

I've taken the courses... if you know nothing about photography or business, it's probably a good investment.... you will learn something...

If you are somewhat familiar with photography and are genuinely interested... spend the money on either books or equipment and learn to do by doing...

my .02

The thing that is cool about the NYIP program is that you actually send work in and they send it back with a taped critique. THAT is extremely helpful since most photographers can't look at their own work objectively.

Thanks for all the input. I really don't know what to think of the course now...

I suppose I would say I am somewhat familiar with photography. I have done a short course in photography basics... (But the most of it I found too basic - and they mainly covered what I have learnt from all of you..)

I was thinking of doing the NYIP course, and then, if i felt i needed to, look further into courses at university, etc... (hopefully i would be able to afford them by then)...

Thanks again,
Alecia

Most reactions

Back