OCF, Helo me improve

Thanks Charlie, I will keep playing with it. I am having fun and having some break through tonight.

What lens and focal length are you using in that picture to get most of your upper body?

If you move the camera back a couple of feet, does that effect the lighting?

Moving the camera does not affect the lighting.. as long as you can't see the umbrella in the lens. I was using my 24-70 at around 50mm for these. Then I cropped as needed.

Notice in Charlies picture you can clearly see TWO catchlights in his eyes? In yours only the strobe.

You reflector is not reflecting.

So what are you using and why is it not working?

I'm using a foldable car windshield reflector that is more grey than silver and reflective.

Tape some bright white copier paper to it and try again.

If that doesn't do the trick, try some aluminum foil on it, shiny side up, and try again.

But that said, my favorite reflectors are the spring form mylar windshield screens from walmart (like $5 for two). They twist/fold and stuff in the outer pocket of my backpack. kinda like these: Basix Magic Shade Super Jumbo Sunshade (Styles May Vary) : Amazon.com : Automotive but shiny

Robin: Not saying two catchlights is better than one aesthetically... just that if he's trying to use a reflector, it's not working.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Notice in Charlies picture you can clearly see TWO catchlights in his eyes? In yours only the strobe.

You reflector is not reflecting.

So what are you using and why is it not working?

I'm using a foldable car windshield reflector that is more grey than silver and reflective.

so cover it with foil.. shiny side out... lol! That explains part of this.. your reflector is acting more like a flag, than a reflector! No wonder your right side is so dark!

if you put the umbrella directly above your camera, then the catchlight will be right on the top of your pupil or retina. If that's the look you want, try it. There is no right or wrong. It is all up to you what you are trying to do. I have been experimenting as well. I am more interested with the shape of the catchlight. I put my sofbox on the left and reflector at the bottom. Next time I will probably put another reflector on the right to create a triangle look.

61336_4941320655560_1446831800_n.jpg

Today I set up in a new location. (After getting a Interfit Studio Accessories kit. Light stand, arm stand and 5 in 1 Reflector. These were shoot through umbrella camera right about 2-3 feet from subject and using the reflector on the right for fill. 1/4 or 1/8 power on the flash.

1. This one is SOC. I didn't do anything in LR4.

IMG_8267 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

2. Begged for another model today. And promised to process it before posting.

IMG_8258 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

3. Got the boy to sit still for a couple of seconds. This one may be a little hot??

IMG_8240 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

#1 and #2 much better. #3 you still have it hot on his forhead... possibly fixed by moving everything (camera and light) down to his level and more to the front.

#1 and #2 much better. #3 you still have it hot on his forhead... possibly fixed by moving everything (camera and light) down to his level and more to the front.

Thank you for the comments. Yeah, that was one of my set up photos and he wouldn't sit still long enough to make the adjustments but I love the smile and pose.

Thank you for the comments. Yeah, that was one of my set up photos and he wouldn't sit still long enough to make the adjustments but I love the smile and pose.

With a squirmy subject, I find a two light setup just makes everything so much easier.

Thanks NYC. I will have to save some money before the boss will let me have anything else. She wasn't happy about this purchase but knew that it was needed.

Looking good! So you got that umbrella working, lol! Good reflector makes a difference doesn't it? :)

Btw.. tell your wife she has gorgeous eyes! ;)

Looking good! So you got that umbrella working, lol! Good reflector makes a difference doesn't it? :)

Btw.. tell your wife she has gorgeous eyes! ;)

Yes it does make a big difference. Spend a little money and get the right gear and that helps too. It also helps to "relearn" that whole exposure triangle too. Being able to use the f stop to get the look is so helpful.

Thanks Charlie, I will tell her.

dbvirago, I'm using Lightroom 4 but I have Elements 10 if needed. I did not run any of these through Elements to try to help them out. My goal with this thread and exercises is to improve the SOC so that all I need is LR4 for 90+% of my photos. You have improved that photo but I look at it after the ones from yesterday and today and I am like, wow, I took that.

Most reactions

Back