Odd factory error in the D300 of a student

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I was asked by a co-worker to give photo lessons to his parents. They each recently bought D300s(one for him, one for her) and they don't know anything about photography. And since I have one too it makes the lessons a little smoother. So there's the back story.

Today I was going over some exposure stuff and I went into bracketing. I told them what it was, how to use it, which button it was(lower button on the front right next to lens). I also pointed out that the button above that was the aperture preview button.

The lady said the bracket button wasn't working so she gave it to me to take a look. I assumed she was just hitting the wrong button, but somehow Nikon managed to make both buttons the aperture preview button.

I told them to take it back to best buy and have them replace it. And if they gave them any trouble go straight to nikon with their warranty.

That was a bit long winded, but I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, probably just a mis-soldered wire.

Jut go through your menus and reset that function button to bracket.

Mine came without the lower button being set to anything. Just read that there manual, it'll make things a million times easier than returning a perfectly good camera.

Ah. Thank you, sir. I will go in a fix it.

This is the only thing I hate about the D300. I use the function button to disable flash on the fly. I'd hate to dig through menus now to set up bracketing. :(

Garbz, if you are like me and never use the focus/exposure lock, set that button to disable the flash or to enable bracketing.

Garbz, if you are like me and never use the focus/exposure lock, set that button to disable the flash or to enable bracketing.

Oh now I didn't know that was possible :). Mind you moot point really since I have a D200 which includes a dedciated bracketing button, but I'll pass that along to someone else who has moaned about this D300 issue to me.

Cheers

Most reactions

Back