Odd one

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The eye details seem to have gone on image size reduction. Any idea what it is?

butterfly_01.jpg

Thanks for looking.

tim

:shock:

No!

No idea what it is, but ... the photo as such leaves me speechless!

It is so .... wow-y!
That colour, that red - can't say I have ever seen anything like this before. Where did you FIND it?

I don't think I've seen red hair on insect before, good catch.

The eye details seem to have gone on image size reduction. Any idea what it is?

I'm not sure what is 'what it is?' you're asking- obviously an insect; but maybe the reason the eye lost detail is because of the pattern created by the compound eyes building up like the shadows build a pattern shooting window blinds?

Hope that makes sense.

If not, well I have nothing better to do this morning than think of weird stuff.

Awesome shot.

It is some kind of butterfly or moth, but i dont know what, like you say the red is incredible (why can i never find anything blue ;)), but very difficult to get a decent picture of, with the black messing up the exposure. The bit we can see is the feeding tube and head, here is another pic where you can see the whole thing

butterfly_02.jpg

if anyone knows what it is it would be great to hear

I will try and get a 100 % crop of the eye up too. I think you are right abraxas, some kind of murray patterning, but having looked at the original again, it looks fairly jpeged anyway (my CF card is too small for RAW).

butterfly_03.jpg

Tim

..... the closest I can come to is the Scarlet mormon, but that one has a black body. This one has me baffled!
Stunning pic though.

"Murray Patterning."

The name that keeps coming up is J.D. Murray.

Looks like a changing biological pattern due to growth (sort of).

I can see the variance in pattern in the eye closeup (thanks).

This slight variance in pattern would suffer from error diffusion in image resizing. Similar to maybe, scanning a halftone image into a digital format, or on a larger scale, slightly varying shadows on slightly curved sufaces(window blind).

I suppose once an object is in pixels, it's up to the the algorithym to decide how those pixels should be translated. .. rambling, .. mumbling,.. incoherency, drifting, fading,... apology....

A great shot of a beautiful creature.

You find this stuff around your house?

There seems to be something with insect eyes, hover flies and dragon flies seem to be the worst. not only the pixel algorythem thingy you talk about butit is made worse as all the little eyelets in the compound eye transmit light to their stems and some kind of internal refraction occurs. Perhaps its time to go and find something with big compound eyes and do a study.

Have a look at these dragonflies, i promice that they are not in any way out of focus, it is jut the internal refraction thing from the omatiddia

dragonfly.jpg

dragonfly_eye.jpg

Lyanna it still has me totally baffled, it was from a guy that kept butterflies so not native to europe, it could have been anywhere, and i am unlikly to get to see him again so it is anybodies guess, i am ashamed to say i dont even know if it is a butterfly or a moth

butterfly_07.jpg

BTW abraxas how did you get a picture of my father in law for your sig ;) ?

Oh,.. these shots are like incredible. Rather than look out of focus, the eyes on the dragonflies look like they're glowing and ethereal. Wow- so much for me and science.

I'm afraid your father-in-law may be in the ~combo~ I'm putting together. A bunch of us guys that can't sing, dance or play an instrument are starting a band. Thinking of calling it, Heavy-Speed-Metal-Speed-Hardcore-Speed-Orchestra... or something or other. Our music sucks, but our headshots make cool avatars.

Hah, I found it!
u_atrophaneura_semperi_9068_031605162729.jpg

It is a Atrophaneura Semperi. Couldn't find an english name. I do know that Atrophaneura means "red bodied" and there are more butterflies within that family. They are found in the Philippines and are on the endangered species list. That's about all I could find however.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back