Off camera flash? $200 Budget?

alex_pierce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Does anybody know of a cheap off camera flash set up? I am on a budget of $200 max. I was thinking a Nikon sb-400 with a hot shoe extension so I still get i-ttl. Since I have a D5100 it has no built in commander so wireless is out of the question, for now.

Thanks,
-Alex

P.S. Or is a flash even worth it? I plan on using it for fill flash and night/sunset portraits.

I have several yn560 flashes. You can trigger them remotely using the onboard flash from your D5100. The up side? They're cheap, around $70. The down side? No iTTL.

I have several yn560 flashes. You can trigger them remotely using the onboard flash from your D5100. The up side? They're cheap, around $70. The down side? No iTTL.

Well the problem with wireless is my camera doesn't support remote triggering from the onboard flash. I would also really like the TTL.

alex_pierce said:
Well the problem with wireless is my camera doesn't support remote triggering from the onboard flash. I would also really like the TTL.

You can trigger them with your onboard flash. You won't have iTTL though. I have a d5100, 2 sb700's and some studio hut triggers and receivers.

I bounce my speedlight on camera an have found iTTL kind of unreliable IMO. Or maybe it just doesn't work the way I want it too. You will get better results working with your flash in manual and really that's one of the only options with the d5100.

Well the problem with wireless is my camera doesn't support remote triggering from the onboard flash.

Your D5100 will trigger any flashes remotely as long as the flash model supports optical slave. YN560 has that option. I can even use a P&S camera to trigger the flash.

I would also really like the TTL.

IF this is something you absolutely must have, then you may want to look for a used SB600 or a YN565EX. I don't have any personal experience with the 565EX so I can't really comment. The SB600 doesn't have optical slave mode so your D5100 can't trigger it remotely without additional wireless triggers.

One other thing - with the pop up flash you can change the power in the menu. You have to change the pop up flash to manual.

So if you lower the power, use a diffuser on the pop-up (like toilet paper) you should be able to trigger another flash and not have the pop-up flash give that "flash in the face look".

Lowering the pop up flash power is also a good way to get some fill light if you don't have an external flash.

Buy the yn560's and I think the same company makes triggers for them as well for really cheap. They do the job. That is what i used.

OP, maybe you should really look into non-ttl flash(es) with a cheap ebay radio trigger.

The SB-400 is really weak.. stronger than your pop-up, but not enough to be worth it. Go with a SB-600 if you insist on TTL flash.

OP, maybe you should really look into non-ttl flash(es) with a cheap ebay radio trigger.

Would this mean I would have to have the camera set to full manual to get a proper exposure?

Would this mean I would have to have the camera set to full manual to get a proper exposure?

It depends.

For example: A portrait shot outdoor.
With Aperture Priority mode You meter the sky and the face of the subject and find that is about 1 stop of different between the 2. So you point to the sky and lock the exposure and then fill the subject with the flash that roughly equal to 1 stop. (or use a reflector)

How to obtain 1 stop of fill light? It also depends on the distance between the flash and subject, flash power and if you have any diffusion material between the flash and subject and if yes, it also vary from material to material.

Of course, you can do it in manual mode if you want.

+1 do it right. Using the pop-up flash sux in anything other than close range and optimal conditions.

i had a Nissin that was great .. until it stopped working after 6 months :thumbdown:

Most reactions

Back