Off camera flash, for the poor, for me

Peter_pan91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so here's the deal, i got my pentax k10d some time ago, all going great, but the thing is, winter is coming closer and i need a new toy for my boring rainy days, and, by coinsidence, i have been getting more and more interested in off camera flash ( who hasn't.. ). I did some of my homework ( yes i went on strobist.com ) and have come up with i set that would run me less than 80 euros..that means: The new vivitarHV, and a wireless radio trigger sistem both off ebay. my questions are:

Well, what do you think, am i going to be able to FEEL the POWER of strobing?

am i going to burn these cheapos out in two shot?

How reliable are these ebay china things?

Thanks,

Pete

Oh, and by the way, i don't have any money, guess you figured it out already thought

Last edited:
If your talking about the Cactus triggers, its fun ot use them, ive had hardly any problems with mine and its proven to be a pretty effective way of triggering my flash on my Ebay light stand with shoot through umbrella.

ok, i guess those are confirmed, thanks.

Any thoughts on the vivitar 285hv? i found the on amazon for 60 - 70$ish and they have got awesome reviews. Will i be able to use it/them with the cactus ?

Most DSLR's can handle up to 250V.

If you're using them for strictly off camera work, check out Vivitar 283's on Ebay. You can find them for about $35 USD.

the thing is, winter is coming closer and i need a new toy for my boring rainy days, and, by coinsidence, i have been getting more and more interested in off camera flash ( who hasn't.. ). I did some of my homework ( yes i went on strobist.com ) and have come up with i set that would run me less than 80 euros..that means:

I like the kit usayit, but thing is, i have REALLY no money ( well, almost) so i was trying to spend around 100+ bucks.

I was thinking of the 285HV (the newer version that came out in 07 ) cause in has lower voltage and it can be used safely on digital cameras, and, although i plan on using the flash almost exclusevly off camera, you never know ( at that price i might consider the 283 though because i could get two.. ).

I guess that using the flash off camera means you don't have to worry about the voltage?

If so, lets say i were to use them only and strictly off camera, what would be the best manual-cheap-easyto find-reliable-down to earth-that's it flash out there?

Thanks for the help,

Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back