Off Camera Flash shopping

sactown024

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a off camera flash setup today, nothing crazy just a basic single setup that I can get some good practice with. I have a Speedlite but I need the stand, adapter, umbrella/box and trigger.

Before I go off and buy this stuff does someone have a recommendation of what to get? items/brand? where to order from? etc.... Only want to spend $100 so yeah something cheap that wont fall apart in the mail if thats even possible.

Amazon or ebay man. Can get as cheap or as expensive as you want.

I've been looking and have determined that I basically want 2 7-8 feet stands, two umbrella brackets, and one 43 inch convertible umbrella.

You can easily find that for under 100.00. However, if you want name brand stuff (i.e. manfrotto) it will cost you more.

There are a couple generic brands on amazon that have gotten good reviews.

By any chance do you live near a camera store that carries the Promaster line (is there a Hunts up by you)? They have speed light kits (stands, mounts, modifiers) for well under $100. You can get the cheap triggers online. If you can get to a store and see the equipment, I'd recommend that over blind ordering if this is the first time you're buying this type of equipment.

By any chance do you live near a camera store that carries the Promaster line (is there a Hunts up by you)? They have speed light kits (stands, mounts, modifiers) for well under $100. You can get the cheap triggers online. If you can get to a store and see the equipment, I'd recommend that over blind ordering if this is the first time you're buying this type of equipment.

I have one right down the street from me but that store seems to mark everything up by 50% or more compared to online, my town is notorious for that. I also live next to a ritz camera shop, not sure what they carry

Ebay 24X24 speed lgiht softbox goes for around 40 bucks and are well worth your money..

Softbox for Speedlight Flash 60cm 24" Flash Softbox | eBay

get a cheap stand and a set of ebay triggers and you should be good around 100$.

What i like about this set-up, its inexpensive, its not heavy and its easily portable.

these little 24X24 softbox has a removable internal baffle that you can add or removed to smooth out the light even more.

all shot with 1 vivitar 285 into a small ebay 24x24 softbox

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ghache- how did you get that "grate" shadow look in number 2? Also, is there an advantage of a softbox over a umbrella?

its too bad that link you gave me all ships from china... I dont want to wait 6 weeks for it to get through customs.

Ghache- how did you get that "grate" shadow look in number 2? Also, is there an advantage of a softbox over a umbrella?

In shot number2, the grate shadow comes from the oof grate/grill in between me and the model. The same one you see on the wall camera left. She was in a cage. really tricky focusing.

the advantage of these little softbox imo is the control you have over your light as opposed to an umbrella, less spill and more directional control. the other advantage is the diffusion. most of these soft box has 2 sheets.

they are also less likely to tip over because of the wind. i use ankles weight from wall mart to keep them stable.

Most reactions

Back