Off camera flash while moving around

lissthis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there!

So I am wondering what type of set up I should do for outdoor portraits with flash, but moving around a lot. I was on a cruise ship recently and saw a photographer with his off camera flash hooked up and he was just positioning it at arms reach. Is this a good method, or should I try something else? Are my wireless transmitters fine for this? Thanks!!

Melissa

It works quite well for the flash, but you have to operate the camera with only one hand.

Well... I put my flashguns on a monopod or a lightweight tripod when I'm alone and adjust accordingly for fill on bright days. Always easier with a friend ;) I'm sure a few pros will chime in soon.

Well, I don't really DO portraits, but I have a flash bracket I use for macro that seems like it would work well for something like that. Gets the flash off camera, probably held out about as far as you could hold it yourself, and frees you up to keep both hands on the camera.

In a very fluid situation, hand holding a speedlight can be very useful.
As others have mentioned, in less fluid situations other methods can be used to free up that hand.

I think the question should be: do you really need to move quickly? Normally, if your shooting portraits, you don't have to move so quickly, unless your shooting in a busy environment (and I wouldn't recommend this until you know exactly what image you want to capture). Whats wrong with a lightstand? or even your assistant holding your flash on a mono pod is pretty fast, but requires an assistant. On a cruise ship, if they are doing the formal shots they will always have flashes or lights on a lightstand. However, the photographers running around will most likely use the style your talking about, and there is nothing wrong with that.

It depends which transmitters you have. Are they ttl? manual? If they're manual, you have to make sure you dial in your power settings beforehand and be sure you keep the flash to subject distance is the same every time you move. If they are ttl, it doesn't matter. :)

A ttl sync cord is what I use if my flash is arms length away and I need to move around quickly. Manual for me, is too much of a headache if I need to move fast.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone!

Golfcart - I guess you’re right about moving around. Really if I’m shooting portraits I should be able to hold still. I was thinking of needing movement more when shooting kids. I’ve been wanting to challenge myself outside of just shooting on cloudy days or at the golden hour, and needed some fill because we’ve been having a ton of sunny days here in AK (who would have thought!?). The photographer I was referring to was shooting pictures for my sisters wedding so he just carried his flash around with him.
I have only used manual as I am very new to flashes and am trying to learn with them, ttl would be better for movement though.

I use the YN RF-603C but have not been having a positive experience with them. Is this like something you would use? YN Off-Camera Shoe Cord / TTL Cable for Canon SLR/Digital SLR Cameras (1-Meter/OC-E3) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme.

Thanks for the help!

get some to hold it. lol I shoot my kid all the time who is always running around and will never sit still long enough for me to get a good portrait of him. I just shoot with my flash on camera now and make what else I have for light for me. If it's outside and sunny I shoot with the sun to his back and use the on camera for fill. If I can bounce it i'll bounce it. I'll strap a recipe card to my flash and point it straight up. Basically if the ambient is harsh i'll try and combat it with harsh flash, if the ambient is softer, i'll use whatever I can to make the little hard light into a big soft one.

Hi there!

So I am wondering what type of set up I should do for outdoor portraits with flash, but moving around a lot. I was on a cruise ship recently and saw a photographer with his off camera flash hooked up and he was just positioning it at arms reach. Is this a good method, or should I try something else? Are my wireless transmitters fine for this? Thanks!!

Melissa

It's not clear why you're moving around while shooting or how much you're moving. Most portraits are done fairly statically. Off-camera flash is always preferred, and the built-in infrared systems of most cameras/flashes works well for this. You have to figure out how to hold the flash. Try to minimize movement while shooting. In daylight the flash won't contribute enough to freeze motion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back