Off Camera Flash

mediocretes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been pulling my hair out trying to get my flash off of my camera, and I'm hoping someone can help. I'm still fairly new to photography, but I feel like I've got the basics down, as far as the camera (Nikon D50) and my strobes (an SB600 and an old Minolta I found at a yard sale). So judging from my equipment, you can probably guess I'm not rolling in cash.

I tried to take the easy way out with cheap ebay triggers, but they made so angry (by consistently not firing while on location) that I actually had a ritual destruction ceremony. I'm saving my money for something more reliable, but I've decided I'm tired of not taking photos, and blaming it on not having enough money, so I'm trying to be clever.

I'm looking at these:
LumoPro Hot Shoe Universal Translator with Female PC and 1/8" (3.5mm) Minip

I've already got several feet of 3.5mm patch cable just laying around the house. I'm not even sure why. What I don't have are PC sync jacks on either of my strobes OR my camera. Could I, in theory, put one of the Universal Translators on top of my camera, put my flash on another, and then connect them with 3.5mm cable? And if so, why is it the Translators have a female PC port? Sorry this is long. I hope someone can help me take the next step in my photography.

Flashzebra.com is another source for parts.

The SB600 will need a hotshoe with PC port (not sure about the Minolta) to fire corded or wirelesly. However, I think the D50 might have the Commander mode which means you can go CLS for off camera flash.

Personally, I'd go wireless. There are several options available, but I went with Paul C Buff for my RF triggers. They have yet to fail, but do go idle quicker than I'd prefer. Not really a problem because all I have to do is hit the Test button on the transmitter to wake them up.

Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately the D50 doesn't support that commander mode. That'd be ideal, even though I'm more interested in setups that wouldn't work with line of sight only. I will check out these other receivers. A lot less then PocketWizards, that's for sure! Still out of my current budget, but not much.

As far as the SB600, isn't that what the Universal Translator would do? It's technically a hot shoe isn't it? Then, could I hook that UT to the other one which is sitting on top of my camera with either PC cable OR a 3.5mm? I just can't figure out how those work, and there isn't much info on the site.

Actually the more I look at those Alienbees, the more I want them! They look great. I think you may have solved my problem, friend. With my luck of tripping over things, I don't think I need any more options in my studio!

Your suggested setup will work perfectly, the 3.5mm cable and the 2 translators with the Nikon equipment. The Minolta has a different hot shoe system.

Thanks supraman! That stuff confuses the crap out of me. It'd be nice to have a wired setup as a backup anyway, in case batteries die, plus it looks like even with the Paul C Buff setup, I'd need at least one Universal Translator to connect my SB600 - which has no PC sync port. So I might as well get two, just in case.

they make translators for minolta too you can get them on mpex's site but they might be a little more $$$.

For the SB600, all you'll need is something like this to go off camera. It will slide on a hotshoe or the little stand that came with the flash or any adapter ring for soft boxes, etc.

Sorry about the misinformation. I think it's the D70 and on that has Commander mode. :(

For the SB600, all you'll need is something like this to go off camera. It will slide on a hotshoe or the little stand that came with the flash or any adapter ring for soft boxes, etc.

Sorry about the misinformation. I think it's the D70 and on that has Commander mode. :(

I think thats the same thing she posted a link to.

She'll need 2 though one for the camera and one for the flash right?

She'll need 2 though one for the camera and one for the flash right?
Nope. She'll need only one for the flash. Of course, she'll then need a way to trigger, be it a cord or IR or RF mechanism.

Having used Nikon's CLS system with IR triggers, I can truthfully say that it is adequate, but has its faults. Since I've gone with RF triggers, there has not been a missed flash........ other than forgetting to wake everbody up after taking a toke...... errr...... I mean, taking a break..

I don't think the D50 has a port for a PC cable. She already has the cable. So I think she'll need one on the camera as well as the flash. Since the SB600 doesn't have a port either she'll need one on there.

Right, right. As much as I love the D50, it seems to lack about every extra feature there is.

So I will need two hot shoe PC adapters of some kind. I could get two that just go to PC, and save some cash. But maybe going with the Universal Translators would be good, just in case I want to use some 3.5mm cable, which I'm told is a little more stable, as the PC cables don't stay plugged in very well. It's also a helluva lot cheaper.

Thanks for the help everyone! I've got a lot of new ideas and options now.

What about Cactus Triggers?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back