Oh boy, first gallery post!

niccig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.niccigilland.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there everyone! This is my first posted photo on TPF, and I'm looking for some feedback. I'm a total noob :) so I'd like to get some feedback on composition, technical stuff, whatever. Here's the info for this pic:

KM DiMage z6
F/4 (unfortunately the fastest I can get with that zoom)
1/125
ISO 100
Handheld, candid shot of a woman at the Lexington Street Swing
I desaturated it in PS and played with the curves a little. If anybody wants, I can post the original also.

I think the focus is a bit soft, and I think I would have liked a little shallower DOF. What does everyone else think of it? Thanks!

baa44637.jpg

So pointers from a newbie myself..

Fstop does not have to do with speed as you mentioned. It is about the size of the "hole" that is open to accept light. Generally, the larger the hole (smaller the Fstop) the more DoF.
-Try this...Hold your finger up...open just one eye (large Fstop) and focus on your finger. Look what happens to the back ground
- Not do the same thing with both eyes open (small Fstop). You will have to cross your eyes to focus on your finger. Look what hppens to the background now.

As this relates to you picture...the further you are away from the subject...and the shallower the actual composition is...the less DoF that is posible. (i.e., if your finger was 20 feet infront of you...it is difficult to "blur" the back ground)

As for the pic...I love the contrast int he picture. Great B&W. The crop is off to me. My preference is that if you are going to cut an element partially out fo the pic, than you should cut enough out as for it not to be distracting.

The legs only being partially cut off is making the pic incomplete. You may try a crop right below her hands...it may be better.

Hope this helps

the classic crop would be horizontal because she is a horizontal subject if you are going ot show her legs... If you recrop it for the head and shoulder cut the classic composition would be verticle. I think there is too much black at the top it would most likely be cropped near her head. The subject in the picture is a lot like real estate I think. Its Location Location Location...

That said let me point out this advice comes from a hopeless out of date photographer. But it is a start I think.

ps. welcome to the asylum

I might try less space behind her, and perhaps a bit more in front, if available. Also, perhaps a bit brighter highlights. In all, I don't think it's bad at all.

RoRoCo said:
Fstop does not have to do with speed as you mentioned.

Lenses with larger maximum apertures are often referred to as "faster" lenses, and smaller apertures as "slower" because of their effect on shutter speed. Much the same as film speed.

Thanks for the tips, eveyone! Unfortunately I can't get more space in front of her (or more of her legs) since this was the original crop and I'll likely never see her again. I cropped in PS to make it horizontal, and cropped below her hands and took out a little of the space behind her as suggested - is this better?

Roroco, I did mean 'fast' in regards to the max aperature of the lens, but your explanation of DOF does make sense - it explains why some of my practice portraits aren't turning out with quite the DOF I want, but my macros are great (well at least as far as DOF goes - they're a bit lacking in other respects :D ). I'll try getting closer up (I've usually taken them from quite a ways back) and see how that affects things).

Anyhow, here's the new crop. Let me know what you think, and feel free to edit if it's not what you were thinking - I'd love to learn! Thanks again for you comments. BTW, sorry for the huge pic - photobucket hates me :confused:

6-10-06076bw2.jpg

niccig said:
Thanks for the tips, eveyone! Unfortunately I can't get more space in front of her (or more of her legs) since this was the original crop and I'll likely never see her again. I cropped in PS to make it horizontal, and cropped below her hands and took out a little of the space behind her as suggested - is this better?

Roroco, I did mean 'fast' in regards to the max aperature of the lens, but your explanation of DOF does make sense - it explains why some of my practice portraits aren't turning out with quite the DOF I want, but my macros are great (well at least as far as DOF goes - they're a bit lacking in other respects :D ). I'll try getting closer up (I've usually taken them from quite a ways back) and see how that affects things).

Anyhow, here's the new crop. Let me know what you think, and feel free to edit if it's not what you were thinking - I'd love to learn! Thanks again for you comments. BTW, sorry for the huge pic - photobucket hates me :confused:

6-10-06076bw2.jpg

Hehe..Photobucket attacks again. You giant pic is tinie :lol:

Sorry for the confusion. I claim {Newbie Tag}

Most reactions

Back