Oh, NO not another What Camera! This is just my thoughts.

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Buying a digital camera these days can be such a hard decision to make if you a person like me who want the best bang for the buck and wants to keep up with the current techknowledgey. With the mega pixel wars and now the ISO wars it makes it even harder. The questions we ask are what mega pixel, what ISO, what lens for the camera, what brand, what size sensor full frame or crop frame, mirror less or mirror and even micro 4/3. Do we want compact of bulky grip or no grip. WOW no wonder why buying a camera in todays market is such a hard to task.

As I think back a few years back it did not seem to be so hard, you have a budget and get a camera that fits the budget now there are so many camera choices that fall in that same budget. I have always viewed the DSLR camera market as Nikon or Canon which always left me with only two brand name choices but, even though there have always been other big name players they seem to not been have been on at least my radar. Until now with the Olympus, Pentax and Sony who are really stepping up and trying to revolutionize the market withe their DSLR quality images in a mirror less compact package. They have brought more to the table in the past few years than Nikon and Canon combined (IMO). With EVF, focus peaking and more and more options that really make your photography experience so much better. Why has Nikon or Canon not caught on to this yet? Is it because they fill its such a niche market? Or are they planing on something even better to come?

As I have been in the market for a camera I have done so much research about different camera models and brands and what lenses work better. Benefits of full frame over crop sensor and mirror less vs mirror cameras. I find myself overwhelmed with information and it makes the buying decision so much harder. There are a plethora of contradicting youtube videos and photo forums post that make the buying decision even harder. I find myself viewing through countless pages of “ What Camera Should I Buy” and
the answers are always nearly the same, “Whats your Budget and What are your Needs?” It seems as
though our needs are constantly changing and if you are like me you want them all. You want Camera A, with Camera B’s ISO, with Camera C’s Sensor, With Camera D’s lens options and so forth. What a perfect world that would be to have it all in one package.

Well, sorry to say its not like that and at some point we need to make a decision. If we are constantly worried about the next and best thing and wait to buy we will miss many great photos and moments. Isn’t that why we want a camera anyway? We need to separate ourselves from the products and brand names. The manufactures are in it for money and are going to continue to release as fast as possible newer models as their vested interests is their stock holders for the most part and profit. Our interests are taking damn good photos and those lines do not cross. If we are worried if we buy the D7xxx today and the D7XX “MAY-BE ANNOUNCED” or “MAY-NOT BE ANNOUNCED” we will just go crazy. So the current D7xx has 24mp and no noise at ISO 1600 but the unveiled D7xx will be 54mp with no noise at 6400 ISO...I should wait and get that one later to find out that it was never released and now its just another small step up from the current flagship model. This is what drives us to keep pushing off buying or upgrading as we our slaves to techknowledgey war.

The smart guys know what they need and don’t upgrade until their cameras break. They invest in lenses and lighting and other equipment that really help to get a much better photo. They are not victims to the every year upgrade to get the hugest mega pixel camera. Lets stop and think for a second who really wants to process 36mp and higher? There is already rumor that sony will be releasing a 54mp camera. This is just crazy who “REALLY” needs this? If commercial advertising and printing were able to print excellent quality images with 12mp 5 years ago why the need for so much more mega pixels. I don’t think there is an average consumer that needs anything higher than 16mp for great quality enlargements. Once you get into 24mp, 36 mp and higher that really is so specific to the needs of the photographer. With that said would I want a D800 or A7R , YES why not if money is no object but, things to consider are not also the upfront cost of the camera but newer computer or upgraded computer to handle the larger files you will be throwing its way. As of right now my computer has enough juice to process those files but, as the MP gets higher and higher it will not be able to hang. I like to shoot lots of HDR and the 36mp files from the D800 have slowed it down some, especially when using plug in programs and layers. Not sure if I want to go and spend a whole day shooting HDR to come home and process those 70megabyte files, but, as they say you gotta pay to play!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back