Oh no....

If it was up to me, I’d tell her that I would gladly be the second shooter, but that I wouldn’t feel comfortable being the only one, and with the primary responsibility of their memories on my shoulders. But that’s me.

That is almost exactly what I told her. She persisted.

She insisted that she understood what I was telling her and that she would still like me to do this, "to gain experience" and to help her out.

I do know there will only be one bridesmaid per bride. If that helps.

I think the wedding is like 50 people or so.

Quoted:

"A very small church."

I'm with pbelarge, go for it. As tirediron says, write up some kind of contract that clearly spells out the expectations/commitment. Obviously you are interested in doing something like this since you took out an ad. If you are *really* stressed about it, maybe you could consider basing your fee on _your_ evaluation of the quality of the photos you end up with. If your pictures suck... you chalk it up as a learning experience?

Everyone's stomach is tied in knots the first time they jump off the high dive. ;)

I would tell her no and then offer to do bridal and groom portraits prior to or after the wedding. Then I would do all the PP and do a few things like this for all the cliche.

25s4uw2.jpg

It's not shooting the wedding, but those pre and after wedding bridal and groom portraits often turn out to be some of the most beautiful portraits I've seen because they cam be set up like regular portraits. I think that would be the best way to capture "moments". Faux they may be, but they're still moments haha.

Man...there's so many people part-timing these days that they have to turn clients away...huh...I can understand if you do not feel comfortable shooting this event. If you do not want to do it, then do not do it, no matter what. But if you do go ahead with this double wedding, then make sure that your CYA really carefully!

give it a try.... you can't learn till you try. During the wedding, (my first) I didn't have any issue (it's just what happend after they came back from homeymoon) but yeah, you'll be fine. It's scary at first but once you go there you'll feel more comfortable and start knowing what to do. And watch lots of vids before just to get an idea of what other photographers are looking for. You'll be fine. Though I'd try to get a 2nd camera person just because ths is a double wedding.

Ok, take a deep breath, sit down and write out what you can do and offer with what you know. Find out what they expect then have them sign this. Review it with them. Then take another deep breath. Go to the church and take practice shots.
Heres a list that might help.
Wedding Photography Checklist: A List of "Must Take" Wedding Photography Shots
Have them review the list also to see if there are any poses they must have perfect.
And as Bitter put it "Have Fun"
:thumbup:

I plan on doing it if she accepts a $400 price. I will do formal picson a different day.

and talk to the church ahead of time to find out what their policy is. the one I went to said I couldn't move once ceremony started, if that's the case, rent a lens if you don't have one suitable for it. and like said above, practice shots at the church.

Hon........I'm not trying to be mean here but I just looked back through some of your C&C requests and you are taking a lot of pictures that are soft and out of focus. You really need to think about what you are doing here. Wedding pictures can't be out of focus.....=) I would love to see you do this just not as the first shooter. I'm just trying to give you some good advice.

Take it as you will..........good luck to you!!

Talk about jumping in the fire. I would like to say go for it but here are some things to worry about. You say she is persistent. That spells bridzilla to me. What if your camera fails. Do you have a back up camera, batteries, memory cards to hold 1000 or more large files, flash that you know how to use well.

At the end of the day you are expected to have the shots can you guarantee that you will?

It can work out great if everything goes perfect but can get messy if not.

This is just my view on this I am not a professional and have no other motives than just trying to be helpful.

Hon........I'm not trying to be mean here but I just looked back through some of your C&C requests and you are taking a lot of pictures that are soft and out of focus. You really need to think about what you are doing here. Wedding pictures can't be out of focus.....=) I would love to see you do this just not as the first shooter. I'm just trying to give you some good advice.

Take it as you will..........good luck to you!!

Yeah, I was trying to think about how to approach this delicately.
You didn't mention the ability to semi compose a shot, effectively, on the fly.

im torn for you. if you feel overwhelmed then i say decline. If it were a friend's wedding or a distant relative, Id be like go for it! have fun! everyone here has got me thinking there is alot more to a wedding than i even thought. But since its not me, i say go for it girl!! just get a sweet speedlight, extra batteries and memory card and kick ass.but MAKE SURE ITS IN FOCUS! I believe once you meet the families your nerves will dye down.

someone hit the nail on the head.
If she is insisting, that screams dragon mother of the bride...
Has she seen your work? If so, and she still wants you to shoot the wedding, then I don't see the problem.

Most reactions

Back