Oh no....

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So... I put an ad in the paper (not really the paper, but it's classifieds just the same) for an amateur photographer looking for willing participants helping me to expand my photography knowledge. :blushing:

Today I got the first call....

:mrgreen: I was excited! Until...

she said double wedding. :neutral:

Yes, double wedding.

I immediately told her I did not have the experience, equipment, or man power to do a wedding, let alone a double wedding. (Yay, honesty!)

**Keep in mind we're from a small little town with little to offer in the means of photographers, much less someone who's new and offering good deals.

She proceeded to tell me that she'd like to look at my pictures (examples) and think on it. I agreed, thinking she would look and not call back.

She called back a few minutes later and said she would like to work with me on a price to do this because of the circumstances (2nd weddings, older couples, small wedding, etc.) and despite my hindrances, she thought I had an eye for photography and she was only looking for the simplest cliche photographs of the wedding.

I'm sitting on the phone going... there's no way, what if something goes wrong. :pale:

Me being the honest person that I am, I flat out tell her that I don't really feel good about being the person that might not get her "moment".

Still she wants me to do this. :scratch:

I got the impression that she's looking for an affordable option to the event and her family member who normally "photographs" will be in the wedding and can't.

I want to help her. :er:

I agreed to do what I can. I made it VERY clear what my limitations were and that I had no experience and didn't usually work indoors, etc. :(

She still wants me to do this.

Do I do this?
If I do this, how much do I charge for the fee itself (probably 8-10 hrs of work with the wedding itself and post processing)?

If you're going to do this (and really, that's something only you can decide) make sure ALL parties sign a very thorough contract which spells out in detail the fact that you are one person, have limited experience and make no promises about quality or number of images delivered. How does the other couple feel about this?

I've never shot a double wedding, but I would think it would be almost impossible to do solo; even though I assume that the couples will be together at the alter together, there's going to be twice as much going on, and unless you just zoom out and get them together and crop in post, it's going to be very difficult (Not trying to put you off, just thinking out loud).

As far as fees go, a tough one, but if you can do this all in 8-10 hours, that's quick, unless you're ONLY doing the ceremony itself (What about formals?). Also, what kind of final product will you deliver? Images on CD, prints, books, combination? I would probably charge 1.5x my normal rate (which is $75/hour) for the ceremony and regular rate for processing.

Look into renting some gear, you're going to NEED two bodies, a couple of fast zooms, speedlights and the usual junk.

Good luck!

Gee, Bitter, that was helpful, lol.

What should I do? I want to help her, but I don't want her to have extreme expectations of the photo results. I mean, I'm fairly sure I can get some photographs she likes, and I did make it clear that I probably can't get -that- moment she's looking for.

Should I just tell her no, I can't?

O boy.......lol:er::(

her family member who normally "photographs" will be in the wedding and can't.
Is there a way to see examples of this person's work, so you can gauge the quality of photographs they'd be comparing yours to?

If you're going to do this (and really, that's something only you can decide) make sure ALL parties sign a very thorough contract which spells out in detail the fact that you are one person, have limited experience and make no promises about quality or number of images delivered. How does the other couple feel about this?

I've never shot a double wedding, but I would think it would be almost impossible to do solo; even though I assume that the couples will be together at the alter together, there's going to be twice as much going on, and unless you just zoom out and get them together and crop in post, it's going to be very difficult (Not trying to put you off, just thinking out loud).

As far as fees go, a tough one, but if you can do this all in 8-10 hours, that's quick, unless you're ONLY doing the ceremony itself (What about formals?). Also, what kind of final product will you deliver? Images on CD, prints, books, combination? I would probably charge 1.5x my normal rate (which is $75/hour) for the ceremony and regular rate for processing.

Look into renting some gear, you're going to NEED two bodies, a couple of fast zooms, speedlights and the usual junk.

Good luck!

Wow, I wasn't really thinking that I could fairly charge that. >.<

I was thinking about $400.00.
Then packages.... This is what I told her I would charge for prints if I decided to do it:

Package A $65.00
1 - 8x10
4 - 5x7
15 - 4x6
4 - wallets

Package B $75.00
1 - 11x14
2 - 8x10
15 - 4x6
4 - wallets

Package C $125.00
1 - 11x14
3 - 8x10
6 - 5x7
15 - 4x6
4 - wallets

The extra print prices would be as follows (if you have a special frame you're trying to fit, I can crop to that size if you need):

Wallets - $3 for 4
4x6 - $2.00
5x7 - $7.00
8x10 - $12.00
12x12 - $15.00
11x14 - $25.00
16x20 - $40.00

With the purchase of package B or C I will offer a CD with high res (ready to print) images for you to print at your own discretion for $75.00. (This means that you could get package B and a CD with all of the images for $150.00 and be able to print off extra pictures whenever you would like.)

I will def have to work up a contract, and no, I can't afford to rent all of that gear. ((Which is why I told her I would be very limited in the shots that I could get.))

her family member who normally "photographs" will be in the wedding and can't.
Is there a way to see examples of this person's work, so you can gauge the quality of photographs they'd be comparing yours to?

I don't think so. She said, "My aunt, who normally takes pictures is in the wedding so can't."

I got the impression it was just someone with a higher end camera, not a photographer.

There comes a time for all of us to dive in and get started.

This sounds like a good one for you.

Remember... it's a trade-off. She have someone who at least knows how to use a camera and you'll gain the experience.

Relax. Have fun.

-Pete

I'm not saying that you can justify that cost; but you are being hired as a professional wedding photographer. As far as the gear goes, do what any professional does; bill the client! Seriously, source a cost for the gear (I would guess about $350 for a days rental) and tell them that this is an essential cost. Given that this is gear that most professionals would have, I would consider splitting the cost with them.

I would also be very cautious about offering packages, especially if you aren't able to get the extra gear. The simple fact is that you may not have images which will reproduce as a 16x20.

I say again, "Good luck!"

Is there any way you could offer your services as a second shooter in a few weddings before this one?
I am second shooting 2 weddings in October. I'll decide what I'm going to do from there.

While I have not done any double weddings or big photo shoots, I&#8217;ve enough project management experience (with probably more than a dozen oh-$hit moments in each one), to give a few ideas. Meet with your prospect and discuss:
- Her expectations (Number of photos, sizes, scenes, how soon, etc.)
- Location, access & support (can you go to the place ahead of time and see what is available from light & power point-of-view, secure storage (if you rent equipment), parking (you don&#8217;t want to shlepp stuff a mile), and able-bodied help)
- Schedule of the event(s), and where your photo session(s) fit in
- Feeding, watering, bathroom breaks
Customers often conveniently forget that on-site time is just a component of the time invested. If you want to be paid for your time, make sure that you make it clear what amount of prep work, and post-shoot work you are willing to put in. Then there&#8217;s the matter of getting the deliverables to them &#8211; are they expecting 8x10 photos in a manila envelope, or something more? Obviously the costs of the deliverables should be included.

If you take tirediron&#8217;s suggestion and rent equipment (actually a very good idea), you need time to familiarize yourself with said equipment, and five minutes before the shoot ain&#8217;t gonna do it. Not unless you routinely drive through red lights at busy intersections, and come out the other side without any dents. Then, you could probably do what mere mortals can&#8217;t, but do you want to test your god-like status in this way?

If it was up to me, I&#8217;d tell her that I would gladly be the second shooter, but that I wouldn&#8217;t feel comfortable being the only one, and with the primary responsibility of their memories on my shoulders. But that&#8217;s me.

I think I would say no unless you the have the money to buy at least another lens and an external flash and bare minimum reflector (and whatever else bare minimum things people use for weddings). While your camera probably does okay with indoor shots im not sure if it would be wedding appropriate.

I would be scared out of my mind to do a wedding at this point in my experience level even if the person stated they were aware of my limitations and signed a contract saying so. A wedding consists of moments that you can not get back. If you do not capture good images (not saying you wont) those couples will have no memories of their wedding. Even if this lady is aware of this I would still be hesitant.

Now if you do decide to go ahead and do it just be confident in yourself and ability and know that you will probably get at least a few good shots of the couples and not sure when the wedding is but I would read and browse online for tips any free chance you got.

I had a lady contact me about doing engagement photos for her and she stated in her email that she was starting to look but had not found a photographer to do her wedding. I flat out told her I would be happy to do her engagement pictures but I was in no way set or or qualified for doing wedding photography unless it was something like a casual 10 person ceremony or something. Im talking very laid back kind of wedding.

How big will this wedding be? Would it be possible for you to find another local photographer and shadow them on a wedding project and do test shots with your camera? That why you might get some experience and know what your camera can and can't do before you commit to do a wedding.

Hope I have been helpful :)

There comes a time for all of us to dive in and get started.

This sounds like a good one for you.

Remember... it's a trade-off. She have someone who at least knows how to use a camera and you'll gain the experience.

Relax. Have fun.

-Pete

I totally agree! Sounds like a great opportunity to get your feet wet with out being totally responsible for all the shots.

Just Do It!

Just because her aunt is Annie Leibovitz, doesn't mean you should be intimidated. :mrgreen:

We all go through this life one time, there are many things we do because they are easy and the cocoon is safe.

Break out of your cocoon and spread your wings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back