Oily Skin And Specular Highlights

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any tips or suggestions for dealing with this when using lights? Obviously makeup would help, but what if you're caught without and exposing for the highlights creates a really underexposed image.

Can you make minor changes to your light or shooting position to minimize them? Otherwise, post?

Can you make minor changes to your light or shooting position to minimize them? Otherwise, post?

No choice but to do it post now. It wasn't showing up under the modeling lights (or I didn't catch it). What a PITA

If you get one of the paper seat covers from a public restroom and dab it on the face, it does wonders to reduce shine. I keep a box in my studio

If you get one of the paper seat covers from a public restroom and dab it on the face, it does wonders to reduce shine. I keep a box in my studio

And maybe a few strange looks. :aiwebs_016: That's one product I would have never thought of, but hey if it works. My kit now includes powder, brush, and some of these.
clean-and-clear-oil-absorbing-sheets.jpg

And maybe a few strange looks. :aiwebs_016: That's one product I would have never thought of, but hey if it works. My kit now includes powder, brush, and some of these.
View attachment 179162

Thanks for the tip.
I will check that out the next time I am at the drug store.

Yes on the makeup tools and also a specular light source will also exacerbate oily skin.

Any tips or suggestions for dealing with this when using lights? Obviously makeup would help, but what if you're caught without and exposing for the highlights creates a really underexposed image.

If full on make-up is out of the question, how about a light dusting of baby powder? It should knock the edge off without making them too pale.

f full on make-up is out of the question, how about a light dusting of baby powder? It should knock the edge off without making them too pale.

My kit now includes a dusting powder and brush, as well as oil absorbing sheets.

Sometimes hot spots are not avoidable, for whatever reason. And when non-pro makeup is in place, I'd rather fix those in post than deal with the low quality powder or cream inside each pore of the subject.

I generally extract a channel that gives me the best separation of the highlight, mend it with the curve so it is only the spot is left there, blur it a bit and blend using Color Burn. It solves a majority of problems, provided the hot spot is not a solid 255,255,255.

when non-pro makeup is in place, I'd rather fix those in post t

For the occasional over bright highlight I don't mind doing it, sometimes it can't be helped. Even a blown spot can be repaired, by replacing the area with a skin sample from another area. I have a library of skin RGB samples, and skin textures that can be used to totally replace skin. I use many of the techniques from Lee Varis's book ""skin", as well as some of my own variations.

Most reactions

Back