Watermarks

stapo49

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In relation to watermarking your image is it a waste of time as it can be cropped out or removed using Photoshop? Is it better to post a low res image instead?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Low-res posting is more of a deterrent than a watermark.

However, if you want to take the time, you can make custom watermarks in high-res images that aren't obvious, but make legal proceeding very easy.

I customize watermarks and cover significant parts of the image. I only post low res copies. I do that if/when I post online (which isn't much). I also read Terms to find out what usage is allowed when posting images on a website. That is often enough to be a deal breaker.

Like Ron above I have it in the settings of Lr to add on export, as well as include copyright information in the metadata, and to export at a low resolution. My webpage has full resolution images but has the ability to lock the images to prevent downloads, but a determined thief can circomvent the best of protection. Like the locks on your door, they only keep an honest person honest.

In LR I export or print with my name somewhere on the image. Not so much for copyright, but because I am proud of my work. Some prints, I actually sign. If I don't feel its good enough to put my name on it, I won't post / print it. I also export at 2 different resolutions, one at 1200 x 800 pixels for social media and then one full resolution, which I usually don't post.

Yes you have copyright privileges on your images, but in a dispute, the only one who makes money are the lawyers and you will need to win in order to get your lawyers fees back from the infringer and maybe a few extra $$. The lawyers make their money for the amount of time (chargeable hours) they spend on your account, so they tend to drag it out.

....... the only one who makes money are the lawyers and you will need to win in order to get your lawyers fees back from the infringer and maybe a few extra $$. .....

Assuming you collect. Otherwise, you're in the red 'cuz the lawyers still need to pay the lawyer(s).

If it's important to you the most effective is post only low-res images with watermark and use "stealth" Id techniques for the high-res versions that you sell.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back