Ok...apologies already! (questions about printing)

chek101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks,
It's me Patty, your adorable friendly forum pal just saying "hey, pleased to meet cha!" I know...just softening the groundwork for the forth coming apology. You see, I am a photographer just not with a camera so I guess that sorta puts me somewhere in the bleachers, I think. Honestly, I don't mean to be cryptic so let me clear this up by saying that I am an artist and an artist in my humble opinion IS a camera cuz we take pictures in our head and develope them too but thru manual application of hand to paper rather than mechanical transference. Hey, guess I sort've DO fit in here cuz I'm both a camera and a photographer - that just occurred to me.

Now that I gave myself permission to speak (because I felt I didn't fit in here, originally) I need to ask an important question. As an artist I DO work with photos for 2 reasons: 1) because photos can sustain an image longer than I can, and 2) so I can keep a photo diary of all the things I do (works in progress past or present). Here is my question. What printer will give me good quality photos that uses color cartridges that don't run out of ink faster than you can say Jackie Robinson? Seems to me the cartridge or toner industry is what printers are all about these days. The length of time a toner cartridge lasts seems to be getting shorter and shorter. That said, any advice on what's out there printer-wise that can meet my requirements? I do print out a lot of stuff! But picture quality too is my main concern as well. If anyone would know the answer to that - it's you guys!!!
:) thanks for your help in advance,
Patty

There are some technical fundamentals one heeds to learn about to get from a digital image file to a print.
So, hopefully, this group of tutorials will be helpful if you're not already aware of the information - Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

I have never made my own prints from digital images, so someone else will have to help with printer recommendations.

Last edited:
I have a printer that did decent work, but I'd have to dig it out of the closet to tell you what it was. Stopped printing my own stuff years ago. You can get decent quality from Costco or Walgreens for less than you can print them yourself. Many places have loss-leader sales on 4x6 prints that are crazy cheap.

Welcome to the site.

I'd recommend HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus. It's a quite big printer along with large cartridges, the prints came out very excellent if you use a glossy prints and some sorts. It's sort of advanced printer that gives you the controls of the quality you'd want to print your photographs, the higher quality you set it the faster the inks goes out however the printer I recommended is a steady one. The inks doesn't go out very quick, but again it depends on how many prints you'd need each day. I'd say 200-300 prints of highest quality until the inks goes out I think, and the ink cartridges for this printer is quite expensive than any of other printers. This is my opinion, but hear out others!

If you are printing for references only, get a laser printer. IT will spit out prints faster than you can say "Oh sh*T!" I think quantity wise, it's also cheaper than inkjet.

If you want quality print... well it really depends on what you want to use it for. If you want REALLY good prints, I'd say let the pros do it for you. This is kinda why I always wonder if I will ever get an inkjet again.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard Patty!

You might want to post this in a better place (Digital>Digital Discussion?) with a more descriptive title. More people are likely to see it.

Could you tell us a little more about your requirements so we can give better, more focused advice? What sort of print longevity do you want? Does it matter if the images fade in twenty years time, or would you like them to last? How important is accurate colour? Budget? What do you call 'a lot of stuff', roughly? Would you be willing to add on a continuous ink supply system to reduce ink costs? What size do you want to print?

^^ Agree with Helen, and I've moved the thread and expanded your thread's title. :) Welcome to the forum, Patty - we have lots of experienced folks here, and hopefully by moving your thread you'll get more views.

Tell us what you're using now, and what your budget is, for starters. Good luck with your search!

R2000 or 3880

If glossy prints are important go with R2000 if you are doing color mostly.

If big ink is important go with 3880. But 3880 is going into pro territory. You will have to buy a $40 ink tampon for it if you chnge from gloss to matte inks a lot. For BW 3880 beats up the R2000.

Color wise, both about the same. R2000 has lead for gloss prints though. I use them both myself.

Good luck!

I have an Epson Artisan 837 all-in-one printer (print, copy, fax, scan, etc.) that makes very nice color glossy prints. (I haven't tried matte paper yet.) I usually print at 8x10, but there is another tray for smaller paper to be loaded also. Just one thing - I returned one and had the same problem with the replacement. I was using Epson Ultra Premium Glossy paper and the printer picked up it was Ultra Premium, but the prints had lines through them, on both printers! I discovered that if you override the printer and set the paper type to Premium Glossy it produces beautiful prints. (I wrote to Epson and they replied, "Good, your problem is solved.") The printer costs $123 at Adorama, and the ink is cheaper at Adorama than direct from epson.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back