Ok. Have just developed my film... but...

I should add - the spots appear all along one side of the film - its not anything actually in the photo - as they appear in the sky. (overcast, do not remember seeing any UFO's)

I agitated it: 2 "lifts" every 30 seconds (constant for the first 30 seconds).

they look sort of like light grey spots

If you could get a scan that would be useful.

Did you use a stopbath, and if so at what dilution? The shift between alkalie and acid can cause blisters on the film.

Also, did the temperature of your chemicals fluctuate much? Reticulation perhaps.

What shape/size are the bubbles, how close together/how many of them are there? A little more info is needed before someone can give a definative answer. What a bummer though!

If they are little circular patches that look grey or white on the neg then in all probability they are air bells.
When you put dev onto film you usually get air bubbles on the surface which can stop the dev working underneath. The cure is to always give the tank a good hard rap on a solid surface at the start of processing to dislodge them.

I give it a good tap everytime I invert it... a couple even

I will try and get a scan of it later... (with just a flat bed)... I have to go to work now

the film was nothing important.

All temps were around 20-25°C

Okay try this one, if you used a powder developer, it might not have gotten completely dispersed. Not a lot of things can spot your film from development to fixer. After a lot of things can but right out of the tank air bells and residue of something is about all there is.

Ok guys...

Sorry about the HUGE delay in replying...

I took the film to TAFE and asked my teachers - and she said it is uneven agitation...

(Grr - I agitated it heaps)

Basically the circles are lighter than the sky (which is quite darkish on the film)... kind of grey circles.

thanks for all your help... obviously I need more agitation in future... Maybe will up it to every 15 seconds rather than every 30 seconds.

I have never known agitation of any kind to produce circles on film.
Too little agitation results in under-development of the film - evenly, not in patches.
Too much agitation results in overdevelopment.
Too vigorous agitation produces flow marks - light and dark banding along the length of the film.
And that is pretty much it.
If you increase the agitation rate then you will have to reduce development time.
An agitation rate of 5 seconds every 30 seconds is the normal rate.

I'll need to see either a neg or a print to tell you for certain.
It could be lens flare....

Glad you said that hertz I didn't want to say it.

I am thinking contamination of the film.. Ie body oil when loading. Not much else left frankly. Well not common things. I suppose it could ice crystals, if you were in the artic but I assum you arent. Putting film on the reel without washing your hands well will sometime make spots on the negatives.

However there is a possibility again of good development for a while then agitation and air bells to make a different level of development at a different stage.

Or airbells when it was loaded then shaken out with the first agitation causing uneven development. Or I might need to just shut up..

I would hate to contradict someone's teacher

mysteryscribe said:
I am thinking contamination of the film.. Ie body oil when loading. Not much else left frankly. Well not common things. I suppose it could ice crystals, if you were in the artic but I assum you arent.

Could it be something that happened during storage? I.e. maybe if it was frozen but the film container wasn't tight? This is an odd one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back