Ok I have to ask because I have been wondering for years...

AtuspidsGoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...and I am just stumped...how do I get my photos to look like these?

Flickr: KMLeeDP's Photostream

I initially thought that it was something that was achieved in nikon cameras...because I have seen lots of newbie photogs who are not as advanced in PP, but they are able to achieve this look and it seems no matter the amount of research on methods and countless hours pouring over PS tutorials, I have tried, I have been unable to get this effect...which has be completely frustrated. I think I must be missing something simple. :( HELP.

Have you tried contacting that photographer particularly? If you really like the style, it could be your best bet.

Have you tried contacting that photographer particularly? If you really like the style, it could be your best bet.

Yup...I just did...and am awaiting a response, but wanted to post this here in case any of you pros might know as well. =)

How proficient are you with Photoshop?
I'm sure any effect such as those can be found using basic PS tools.

Then again I'd have to see a before and after to tell you exactly.

Do you have an example of a before and after? Or maybe pointing out exacts?
Makes it a bit easier to tell ya how it's done =p

How proficient are you with Photoshop?
I'm sure any effect such as those can be found using basic PS tools.

Then again I'd have to see a before and after to tell you exactly.

Do you have an example of a before and after? Or maybe pointing out exacts?
Makes it a bit easier to tell ya how it's done =p

PS?..I think I'm pretty proficient...there is still a lot to learn, but I think I have the basics down in terms of layers, filters, color effects, it's utilizing the lighting effects in PS that I am not as familiar with and have not used much of...

Here are some samples of before and after editing I've done. The first two were images taken by someone else that I edited for them. The last one is one of my own taken with my Canon XTi.
5156327191_5318c069d4_b.jpg

5156355861_9b150fdb9a_b.jpg

4503902063_9f87274d41_b.jpg

I'm not really fond of cool colors, (not just on your photos, any photos really). Just kind of my pet peeve.
But you did a great job on that last one.

As for the effect you're looking for, all I could think of to help you out would be some hands-on tutoring, if you will.
Feel free to drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help you out. ^-^

I'm not really fond of cool colors, (not just on your photos, any photos really). Just kind of my pet peeve.
But you did a great job on that last one.

As for the effect you're looking for, all I could think of to help you out would be some hands-on tutoring, if you will.
Feel free to drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help you out. ^-^

LOL I have to admit that I am a cool colors freak...haha..I should really stop that though in order to broaden my horizons...but yes I will most definitely drop you a PM. Hope this guy gets back to me soon!

LOL I have to admit that I am a cool colors freak...haha..I should really stop that though in order to broaden my horizons...but yes I will most definitely drop you a PM. Hope this guy gets back to me soon!

It's all personal preference =p

Shoot Canon and Noise Reduce the Livin' Hell out of everything. Or shoot NIkon, and apply heavy NR. Also, look into some of the various fairly extreme ways of converting your RAW files into JPEG images. You might want to look into a Japanese-developed RAW conversion software called SilkyPIX, which has a number of specialized "looks" that are popular with various Asian ethnic and cultural groups. As you probably know, in some Asian cultures, bridal photography often emphasizes a bride whose skin is supposed to look lighter and paler than in normal photos. a west coast photo buddy of mine who shoots a lot of weddings has a big following among the Asian community in his city because he can deliver the silky-smooth, pale-as-milk look that is popular in his area. I think you might find that the SIlkyPIX software's range of raw conversion options will allow you to create exactly the looks you want.

Shoot Canon and Noise Reduce the Livin' Hell out of everything. Or shoot NIkon, and apply heavy NR. Also, look into some of the various fairly extreme ways of converting your RAW files into JPEG images. You might want to look into a Japanese-developed RAW conversion software called SilkyPIX, which has a number of specialized "looks" that are popular with various Asian ethnic and cultural groups. As you probably know, in some Asian cultures, bridal photography often emphasizes a bride whose skin is supposed to look lighter and paler than in normal photos. a west coast photo buddy of mine who shoots a lot of weddings has a big following among the Asian community in his city because he can deliver the silky-smooth, pale-as-milk look that is popular in his area. I think you might find that the SIlkyPIX software's range of raw conversion options will allow you to create exactly the looks you want.

Hi Darrel, I'll try looking into that. But just for the record, that milky white skin technique is sooooooo FOB as far as I'm concerned. LOL. But I know what you mean...in the Asian communities, a lot of elders and older tradition dictates that milky white skin is automatically attractive...unfortunately I have had to hear all my life that I'm too dark skinned...=) Which is fine with me considering I grew up here in the US where the norm is that everyone wants to go tan...I don't have to lay out in the sun all day...:lol:

I'm not seeing anything especially unique about the images you've linked to. The photographer is shooting very slightly over-exposed, and boosting the contrast and saturation slightly. Start by getting your lighting and exposure right and go from there.

I'm not seeing anything especially unique about the images you've linked to. The photographer is shooting very slightly over-exposed, and boosting the contrast and saturation slightly. Start by getting your lighting and exposure right and go from there.

Hmm that's a good pointer...I will try that.

It seems the effect I'm liking is not apparent is all the photos, just some more than others.

Most reactions

Back