OK revised....NEW PHOTOGRAPHER....

jordanja09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need some advice on buying my beginner camera...I am in the market for taking pics of mainly children and people...occasionally scenic. Is Nikon the best? Or can I get the same quality with other brands? Also I dont want to spend more than $500 for my first camera...so thats my budget...and Im looking for a DSLR...Hope thats enough info.:mrgreen:

I think that Nikon is the best but Canon and Nikon are really the same, and for under $500 for Nikon there is only one way to go which is the best way to go. The Nikon D40 with a 18-55. There are tons of others that will back me up on that. Just read some of the other posts with people asking the same thing, and people giving the same answers.

No Nikon is not the best but is comparable with Canon. It's subjective between the two brands since there both pretty good. Anyways, I would say get the Nikon D40 if you're looking around the $400 price range but I'd actually go with the Canon XS from

Canon | EOS Rebel XS (a.k.a. 1000D) SLR Digital | 2763B003 | B&H

The CMOS sensor in that camera is much better than the CCD sensor on the Nikon D40 camera.

I need some advice on buying my beginner camera...I am in the market for taking pics of mainly children and people...occasionally scenic. Is Nikon the best? Or can I get the same quality with other brands? Also I dont want to spend more than $500 for my first camera...so thats my budget...and Im looking for a DSLR...Hope thats enough info.:mrgreen:

He is right on the D40, but that's if you don't have an extra $50.

Right now, at many places, you can get a Nikon D60 for $549.99, and in my opinion with the stock 18-55 mm VR lens, it is quite a better set up than the D40. But, if budget is your priority, than the D40 is amazing and don't be hesitant in getting that.

And, between the Cannon XS for $505, and the D60, i would still spill the extra 45 bones and get the D60.

He is right on the D40, but that's if you don't have an extra $50.

Right now, at many places, you can get a Nikon D60 for $549.99, and in my opinion with the stock 18-55 mm VR lens, it is quite a better set up than the D40. But, if budget is your priority, than the D40 is amazing and don't be hesitant in getting that.

And, between the Cannon XS for $505, and the D60, i would still spill the extra 45 bones and get the D60.

I actually have the D60 and if I could go back, i'd actually probably go with the Canon. The problem with the entry-level SLR cameras from Nikon are that they don't have a built-in auto-focus motor in the camera. The lens have to have that for the camera to auto-focus which really narrows down the selection of lens with the OP when wanting to upgrade his/her lens. Obviously the whole, "I wouldn't have bought an SLR camera if all I wanted to do is AF when my P&S can do that!" issue is going to come up but AF still really comes in handy. That's just my .02 cents on that issue.

Oh and the fact that my D60 doesn't have an AEB function sucks when I want to try out an HDR.

Sony has the 10mp A200 for $500. It comes with an 18-70mm lens(bigger than the nikon or canon) and the image stablizer is built into the camera body itself instead of the lens. That makes the lens a little cheaper but also you would be able to use old minolta AF lenses as well.

If you want to try entry level to get a feel, you might buy an older model used and seeing what you think with out the full investment.

Most reactions

Back