Okay how about these-Engagement shoot

Hi Theresa, it's Jenn from JM :wink: .

It looks as if you've gotten enough critiquing from others so I'm not going to add anything in that regard. While some of it has been harsh some has been good, honest critiquing that you can use to help you go forward!

One thing I do want to say, and this is not meant to be mean and I'm not trying to tell you that you're work isn't good enough is to please re-consider shooting this wedding. A wedding is so much different than a portrait photo shoot. With portraits you can try for a re-shoot if things don't go well or the client is not happy...but you just can't do that with a wedding. This day is going to be a big day in the lives of these people and these photos are going to be what they remember the day by. Your best advertising is going to be word of mouth..you don't want to start out on the wrong foot by getting poor feedback on a wedding..brides will talk to other brides and they won't be kind if they are unhappy with their wedding photos.

I don't think I'd even attempt a wedding until I had at least a couple more years of experience and practice under my belt and had seriously upgraded my equipment. I'm shooting with a decent camera now but I know full well that I'm not capable of producing prints any larger than an 8x10 (maybe 11x14) that are of any quality and you never know what a bride is going to want.

My honest advice would be to step back a little and give yourself a little more time to grow. Tell your friends and family that you're trying to build a business and book some low key, portfolio building shoots and don't charge them full price. Read, read, read and learn about not only your camera but basic photography too. If you can't afford a class or to buy new books check out your local library or even the web, there's a wealth of good information out there.:)

Learn the camera you have inside and out and then think about upgrading to an SLR. I'd also suggest investing in some good editing software. It's just a fact that with the way the photography market is today you really need an SLR camera of some sort and good editing software to stay competitive. Lay people don't know all the technical differences between cameras and photographs but without that knowledge they can still spot a great photograph...they're just not sure what makes it a great photograph..lol!

I also agree with others that you can't let your clients dictate your shoot. Don't feel bad to say no, ESPECIALLY if you think their request will affect the quality of your photograph.

Here's a general guideline of things to begin studying with and practicing on. If you're already fluent in any of these I apologize and simply cross them off the list. If anybody has any books or sites they can recommend please be sure to add them on!

Learn what these terms are and how to adjust and manipulate them to get great photos. Learn what they mean and also practice with different settings to try for different effect.

1. Aperture
2. Shutter Speed
3. ISO
4. Metering
5. Exposure compensation
6. White Balance

Start working towards mastering these basics of photography as well. If these are things your camera cannot do then that's a sure sign that it's time for a new camera. I realize SLR's are expensive but you can get a good model like the D40 for a reasonable price. Remember that you're trying to start up a business here and when starting a business there is always going to be some investment. The hope is that you'll make that money back by many fold in the future! Save up and keep plugging away with your point and shoot in the meantime...working on the areas that you can work on with your current camera.

1. Shooting in manual mode

2. Exposure

3. Metering

4. Lighting

5. Focus

6. Composition

Once again, I aplogize if any of this is hurtful, it's not meant to be. It's meant to be a little advice from one aspiring photographer to another:hug::.

Welcome Jenn.

I love the blog and great advice but I think you can take "aspiring" off of the description of your work. You have some beautiful photos on your blog site and I think you only need to aspire to go out there and start raking in the clients.

Welcome Jenn.

I love the blog and great advice but I think you can take "aspiring" off of the description of your work. You have some beautiful photos on your blog site and I think you only need to aspire to go out there and start raking in the clients.

I would wholeheartedly concur.

I'm going to say my peace and be done.

First off JOLS needs to get life and stop jumping all over me when I'm not even commenting on your pictures or your threads. I'm sorry that you feel the need to get so defensive about other people's work when really you could spend that time and energy improving on your own work.

Secondly, Teresa, no has called your work "crap" only you have, think about that. I simply encouraged you to find a great photographer who is well known and had honed their craft to aspire to. I could care less if you don't want to be that good, I do. I want to be the best that I can be as do most people on this forum.

As for critiquing my work, I never claimed that my work was perfect. I have constantly stated that I am a growing artist, as we all should be. I even listed for you the people that I aspire to be and the people that I have sought out as mentors. However, this does not give you the right to criticize my work when you don't even know what aperture or DOF is. You comments are ignorant, and the look that I was going for is MY STYLE. I push the colors on purpose because clients (you know the paying ones that my business is fueled by) like it. I give them what they like. It is people like you who get on here asking for "C&C" and then wine and complain and make excuses when people try and help you that give this forum a bad name. I think yopu expected us to just gush over your work and not be honest, and quite frankly, with an attitude like that and an unwillingness to learn, you will never grow and for that, I feel sorry for you.

mmmmmmm...
i whole-heartedly agree with what Jenn had to say. dont throw away your dream, but get studying at your local library and online first. i confess i am photography-addicted and spend way tooooo much time studying tutorials and online articles as well as checking out my favourite inspirational websites! i also try to get to galleries and workshops when i can.

now, i think allsmiles has brought a great style with her to tpf and i really like what she shares. i'm with her in saying jessica claire is a favourite of mine and im also with her in saying that i too am a 'growing artist' with aspirations of being the best i can be.

take on board the comments here and work to be the best you can be. an excellent book is Understanding Exposure and might be a great place to start.
Goodluck x

Most reactions

Back