Old Barn Critique

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are two pictures of the same thing.

Original
FSCN2342.jpg

OldBarninFognoBorder-1.jpg

OldBarninFognoBorder-1.jpg

I personally like the second one best. The background behind the barn is fog. That's why it looks like it does.

Is there anything I could do. I think the first one is a little too dark but it's all about how the contrast and brightness is on your monitor! :) I guess it's just personal preferences.

Thank you

~Michael~

A chronology of textbook shots in learning to be a photographer:

1) "The Most Photographed Overlook in the Park"
2) Old barns
3) Sunsets
4) Rusted cars
5) Flower Beds

Looks like someone is just getting started! Welcome to the club! You have only a few steps to the MOMA.

I'm seriously not being sarcastic in this post. Don't even pretend you didn't do the same thing in generally the same order. I was being genuinely nice when I said "welcome to the club."

OK I am lost how is that "MOMA"
Most
Old barns
Sunset
Rusted cars
Flower beds

That would be MOSRF??????

Isn't "MOMA" the Museum Of Modern Art?
And doesn't our Max sound sarcastic even though he says he's not?
What is wrong in liking to photograph old barns?
Must those who do feel bad about it?

I personally find this one too dark (mostly so in the original version) and am all undecided about either 2 or 3, but maybe that is the very strength of this photo: the fact that it has had me come to this thread over and again and the fact that I cannot really make up my mind about it!?!?

Composition wise you are ok, but there is way to much noise in the picture. You must have shoot at a high iso. Next time try a tripod and a lower iso. Personally I never go over 400. Even with film, 800 and above just has to much noise for serious landscape...

Cosmo

Does that mean anyone who considers themselves a little more advanced is not allowed to shoot barns, sunsets and flower beds anymore?
Besides, how was that post supposed to be helpful? You're in the critique section, Sam - and as far as I understand that means critiquing an individual picture - not the outlook one has on photography or the subject one favors in their shots. :greenpbl:

I agree with LaFoto, it's a little too dark and grainy, the fact that the fog has to be pointed out shows that quite clearly. ;)
Did you take this in RAW? Then you might be able to save it..
Nice barn btw. :heart:

Sorry. I digress. As others have noted, the composition is just fine. I don't mind a lot of grain in a photo like this, but there is too much of it, and it's too dark. A film like HP5 might give the desired effect.

wagnuka,
thank you for your comment.

Max,
Thank you for offering your "brutally honest critique." I do appreciate and and whatever else you were talking about in your post. I must agree that old barns are fun to photograph. Also, I am NOT getting started. Although I have not been photographing for years and years but I would consider myself and advanced photographer, but by no means professional.

LaFoto,
Thank you also. I must agree that it is dark. Every time I take off the flash and do a picture in the dark, it gets grainy.

cosmonaut,
the ISO should have been adjusted, but unfortunately I can't do this with my camera. I can't remember if I used a tripod or not. I know it would be a long exposure so I think I did. I was actually on top of another "barn" taking this. I do believe I just set it on a ledge, focused, and set a self timer so I wouldn't shake it.

Parago,
I did not shoot in RAW. Simply because it was just a point and shoot, and plus I have no other one to shoot with. My Nikon gets the job done though. :) Thank you for your comment about the barn too. I really like this barn and hav shot hundreds upon hundreds of pictures of it..in the day, at sunset and everything in between (the sun set's directly behind it :)

I took the original and did some stuff in PhotoStudio which added the "Old Photo" look, and also added some "extra" grain, which the program calls "spots."

Thank you all for your comments

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back