Old Chain of Rocks Bridge Rt66

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The old bridge is now a walking/bike trail over the Mississippi River. It has a sharp turn near the MO side. It was scary to ride in a car over this bridge, very narrow.

092323_007wSM.jpg

2. Water intake towers built around 1900
092323_033wSM.jpg

3. Pano looking South
092323PanoSouthwSM.jpg

4. Pano looking North. A new bridge is being built next the I-270 bridge
092323PanoNorthwSM.jpg

I can remember driving across it once. I hadn't had my licence all that many years, definitely not for the faint of heart. I think the same architect designed the one at Cape Giradeau, they where very similar. I was surprised to see they're building a new bridge for 270 till I realized it's already 57 yrs old. 😐

Last edited:
I can remember driving across it once. I hadn't had my licence all that many years, definitely not for the faint of heart. I think the same architect designed the one at Cape Giradeau, they where very similar. I was surprised to see they're building a new bridge for 270 till I realized it's already 57 yrs old. 😐
time flies! Hard to believe it is 57 years old. The oldest bridge that crosses the Mississippi is the Eads Bridge downtown St Louis. Back in the 70s I took that to work sometimes. The decking was missing in spots and you drove over the girders. Could see the river. Now it is updated and the rail road that was suspended under the bridge is now used for MetroLink.

A cropped version of a frame from the pano. Interesting to see how they put in the foundation.

092323_028 copySMw.jpg

@CherylL an interesting feature of the bridge not shown in your shot is the 22 degree bend in the middle. Doesn't sound like much, till you drove it!

I really like the first image, the bridges structure has created really interesting areas of light and dark.
I think it would make a good location for senior portraits.
A close up of the rust
092323_034smW.jpg

Interesting back story. How they build bridge foundation in deep water is beyond me.

I like the first one with the shadows (and rust!).

Those water towers look miniaturized. Being in water with not much else for frame of reference it's hard to tell the actual size. Cool photo of them.

Though I might have been across that one years ago. Was driving a road truck pulling a 45' Reefer trailer and had to go around the Missouri weight station. Calling that bridge narrow would be an under statement. Passed another truck coming at me and our tire's rubbed on the curd and still just barely missed hitting our mirror's! narrowest bridge I'd ever seen that allowed trucks on it! Wasn't that one in the photo though as it didn't have a curve anywhere just straight across!

Interesting back story. How they build bridge foundation in deep water is beyond me.
There were several barges with workers. A large boat on the shore took supplies and workers to each station.

I like the first one with the shadows (and rust!).

Those water towers look miniaturized. Being in water with not much else for frame of reference it's hard to tell the actual size. Cool photo of them.
Love the rust too! The buildings do look small in the water, but I think they are large 2 stories not counting the base. Would love to take a tour if they offered.

Though I might have been across that one years ago. Was driving a road truck pulling a 45' Reefer trailer and had to go around the Missouri weight station. Calling that bridge narrow would be an under statement. Passed another truck coming at me and our tire's rubbed on the curd and still just barely missed hitting our mirror's! narrowest bridge I'd ever seen that allowed trucks on it! Wasn't that one in the photo though as it didn't have a curve anywhere just straight across!
Wow, scary drive for you! When my Dad drove over the bridge we all had to remain quiet. I wouldn't want to drive over it. The oldest bridge in St Louis and oldest over the Mississippi is the Eads Bridge. That one is still in use today. I think it is somewhat wider. There was another old narrow bridge in Alton. It was torn down when the new one was built. Maybe you went on one of those two?

Nice shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back