Old farmer in Boulder Colorado

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went up to boulder again, here is a portrait of a nice old farmer. C&C welcome as always.

3978928538_93021498b2.jpg

Wow, what a great shot! What kind of settings/equipment/PP did you use? I love these kind of shots

Thank you!

Here is the exif Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200) Aperture: f/2.8 Focal Length: 50 mm Exposure: -0.10 ISO Speed: 100
I used Lightroom for PP.

Equip is in my sig :)

What a dude. Love the shot.
Exceptional quality, good glass for such a shot aswel.
The only thing that erks me a touch is the composition.
Maby less head space, and slightly to one side would have looked a bit less square.

Good job.

Do you mind sharing what you did in lightroom, I just really like how the shadows of the wrinkles pop. Is a lot of it just cranking up the contrast?

Do you mind sharing what you did in lightroom, I just really like how the shadows of the wrinkles pop. Is a lot of it just cranking up the contrast?

In Camera Raw you can increase your Clarity and Blacks to make the wrinkles pop. I'd use clarity more because it adjusts the midtones. I'm sure there's an equivalent in LR for what I'm talking about.

To be honest i've used pretty much all the editing programs, and currently us LR, PS, and Aperture. I am addicted to LR right now. I also use Noise Ninja, but that's because I personally have a huge annoyance with even low levels of noise.

I could send you the preset, but it's mainly just tweaking all the basic settings, all of the tone curve settings, a little of the HSL settings, some vignetting, and then a little secret. I edit with noise ninja from LR, then save back to lightroom. Then I do a slight tweak again to clarity, tone curve, blacks, contrast, fill light and maybe a little more tweaks. :)

I hope that helps.

DScience I really think it's a great shot. This would really look awesome on a bigger scale to emphasize the features in his face. Right now I think it's too small to do it justice.

It would've looked incredible to see his bib overalls instead of all that distracting empty background space on the left side of the frme, and the distracting light pole and five white glass globes to the right side of the frame.

I'm not sure why this is framed as a horizontal, which wastes over 50 percent of the frame on out of focus distractions.

It would've looked incredible to see his bib overalls instead of all that distracting empty background space on the left side of the frme, and the distracting light pole and five white glass globes to the right side of the frame.

I'm not sure why this is framed as a horizontal, which wastes over 50 percent of the frame on out of focus distractions.

I can see what your saying for sure.

This gentleman was relaxing on a nice fall saturday evening sitting down on a bench. I was strolling through an outside mall with my 50mm and he was nice enough to let me snap a few shots as he enjoyed his day. I wasn't going to request one thing from this guy, like "will you stand up and pose for me.". Secondly on this part, my main focus for the picture was centering on his obviously aged face with all the complex wrinkles, and if I got a body shot that wouldn't have been the obvious focus.

Also, I personally LOVE blurred out backgrounds from fast lenses wide open, and for me it's an artistic addition to see the light melt from the BG objects.

But in any light, I am glad to get your opinion as I respect much of what you say on these forums. :)

Most reactions

Back