Old Film SLR

sultan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going on a school trip to New York next week but don't want to take ~$1000 worth of camera equipment that can be stolen and my old P&S doesn't fully meet my high standards for image quality. I am thinking of buying an old Pentax SLR (some manual focus 70s model) and a ~$100 prime lens to go with it to supplement my digicam when IQ is essential. Is it a good idea? Is NY (Manhattan) full of photo opportunities that will make use of an SLR or will an old P&S (Canon A70) do?

Note: I want to go pentax because I like Pentax and all my equipment (body and lenses) are Pentax/Pentax compatible.

If all of your stuff is going to work with it, I don't see a down side, provided the body works and you're getting a good deal.

If you're turned onto a Pentax, pick up an old K1000 and a a 50 and maybe a tele zoom. Minolta sr-T101 and a couple of lenses would be comparable. Canon's and Nikon's would run you a bit more but well worth the investment.

K1000s are nice but I dont want to spend over $120 on the body. I am thinking of a $50-$99 MG that is nice and small.

Me Super or Super program. The MX was a manual camera, and pretty reliable from what I've been told. Most of those Pentax bodies were small.

A $99 ME Super and a $49 50mm SMC-M f/2
Does that sound good?
It sounds like a lot of money to me. Too much for the body even if it's working. The SMC 50mm f2 is the low end lens.

PS If you can find the 50mm 1.4 SMC, I heard they were unmatched, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with the newer digitals.

It sounds like a lot of money to me. Too much for the body even if it's working. The SMC 50mm f2 is the low end lens.

PS If you can find the 50mm 1.4 SMC, I heard they were unmatched, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with the newer digitals.

Yeah, I would prefer a lower price for an old camera and a low end lens. Any good places you know of in Mississauga/Toronto area? (in Canada) Or do you know of any places in Manhattan that sell such cameras at a low price? I would prefer $100 or less for the camera + the lens. I don't need anything too fancy.

There are lots of K1000's on ebay for under $75.. if you want to be sure you have a working one, keh.com has a bunch with lenses included. They cost a little more than the ones on ebay, but it's more likely to work ok, while the ebay versions are gambles.

I have a K1000 myself and while I don't use it anymore since I purchased my Nikon FE, it is a great camera.

Depending on how much time you are planning on spending in NY and where you are going I think you will be EXTREMELY dissapointed if you did not bring your A-list gear. Now if you plan to go and just get stupid and do whatever don't bring it but really if you plan to tour some fo the big sites there will be alot of photo opportunities.

I've decided that I'll just take my P&S but I'll take about $150 USD so if I find a great deal, I'll buy it. I have a $400 duties exemption so that won't be a problem at the border on the way back.

Note: I'll also spend the money on food.

I am going on a school trip to New York next week but don't want to take ~$1000 worth of camera equipment that can be stolen and my old P&S doesn't fully meet my high standards for image quality.

NYC isn't that bad.... I think you are over reacting. I think it has been over 10 years since NYC has been knocked off the most dangerous list. Most people just assume due to the numerous movies that are placed in NYC.

Head into Newark or Patterson NJ and that is a completely different story.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

Note: I want to go pentax because I like Pentax and all my equipment (body and lenses) are Pentax/Pentax compatible.

Newer AF pentax lenses without an aperture ring will not work properly on older manual camera bodies. Older manual K-mounts will work on newer Pentax bodies.

K1000 = Great fully manual camera with years of happy users

ME = Very compact body. One of Pentax best sellers to the consumer market. Aperture priority only.. "Super" versions were an update to this design.

MX = Compact body. It is the bigger brother to the ME geared more towards professional use.

again.. I think you are over reacting and probably will regret leaving the nice camera at home. A lot of people walking the streets with watches that cost more.

Head into Newark or Patterson NJ and that is a completely different story.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html
Well, the hotel's at Newark so... there's my problem :)

I know people who went from my school last year and were pickpocketed so I don't want to take any chances. My P&S isn't good but it's not that bad, it'll do.

I may be overreacting a bit but it's better safe than sorry. I feel much safer here in the great white north :p .

I just have to say where in the heck are you going that you have to be this paranoind about your camera that you don't even want to take it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back