Old hummies - New Camera

wackii

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just received my new toy, Nikon D7100, so I went to the closed-by park to shoot some hummingbirds. It's a great camera so far. I like the 1.3x crop mode. It's really helpful with little birds like hummingbirds. Focus is quite fast compared with my old D5100. Here are a few pictures. The weather was not good for birds shooting that day. It was gloomy and windy. All my shots resulted in a shutter speed between 1/50 to 1/100 on a 500mm focal range. I held it as stable as I can (forgot my monopod at home). I resized all these pics to be able to load them here (file size is too big). I like the background on #4; however, that branch sticking out is an eye sore and I don't have photoshop to clone it out. C&Cs are welcome!

1. $hummingbird-4 resized.jpg
2.$hummingbird-2 resized.jpg
3.$hummingbird-5 resized.jpg
4.$hummingbird-9 resized.jpg
5.$hummingbird-10 resized.jpg

Al,

Nicely done and detailed, especially at those shutter speeds and focal lengths hand held.

Very nice, what lens if you don't mind me asking

Very nice especially at slow s/s..

I really like #4 so much I figured I would try to take the stick out, not prefect but oh well
$hummingbird-9%20resized.jpg

this photo deffently shows you have a sharp copy of the sigma, the others are kinda soft, but probably cause of your shutter speeds. I cannot get away with 1/50 or 1/100 very often with my Nikon vr 500mm, I usually try to stay above 1/200th at least with my 1.4x converter for more consitant sharp results.

but this photo really has the high dollar glass look to it... good job.

Last edited:
Matthewo,

Thank you for removing that little branch. I like this much better... so easy on the eyes now. Yeah, it's hard to get sharp pictures with that low shutter speed. I took more than 200 pictures and only about 15 are keepers, not sharp sharp but good enough. This weekend I will head out for another test shots on this new d7100. Hopefully the weather isn't bad... Forecasts show sunny with 12mph wind...

Your bird shots are tack sharp. I envy your skills and your lens... I still have a long way to learn on how to capture sharp in-flight pictures.

Wonderful shots Wackii. You guys are all making me consider getting that 500 reach.

Nice shots. Don't often see shots of hummers sitting around. I like 1,3 and 5 the best.

WesternGuy

Wonderful shots Wackii. You guys are all making me consider getting that 500 reach.

Thanks. My 50-500mm lens is a poor man telephoto lens compare with these guys here w/ 500mm or 600mm prime lens. It does the job for me.

Nice shots. Don't often see shots of hummers sitting around. I like 1,3 and 5 the best.

WesternGuy

Thanks. I had a 2 hours chat w/ 4 different hummers and they promised me that they will sit around for a few seconds here and there for some photo shots.

Most reactions

Back