Old lady

rick93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi friends,

This afternoon after doing some stuff and playing soccer I decided to take a walk in the bush to see if I could maybe shoot some wildlife. After walking for a bit I saw this old lady coming back from her farm. I had seen her before but don't really know her. I know that her toes and part of her foot were accidentally shot off by her uncle when she was a child.
She walked really slow and its a shame that she has to go and get her own firewood. I followed her for a little bit (without her knowing) until we got to a place that was a little cleared so that there was enough light for a shot. I then greeted her and she turned around for me to take some more shots. Of course I carried her firewood to her house. It took forever because she walked so slow and I didn't really know where her house was. She was very happy and it made my day as I really like old people and find them very interesting.
I know that they aren't the best shots but whatever. I like them.

IMG_8336.jpg

IMG_8339.jpg

IMG_8338.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments are appreciated.

Wow, this is really cool. I would like black and white shot of this even better. I thought most of the locals would not like their photos taken

Wow, this is really cool. I would like black and white shot of this even better. I thought most of the locals would not like their photos taken

Thanks Roentarre. I hadn't thought about a B&W version. Good call.
Local people don't like it when rich tourists come to spend their extra money and take pictures of these poor black people. Very understandable. How would we feel if we lived in a little mudhut and didn't have anything etc. and these rich people that live in palaces come and take pictures of us...

Thankfully I am not a tourist. I have lived here for 5 years and everybody in this village knows me. I might not really know all of them but I stick out like a sore thumb because of my skin colour. So than they love it when I take pictures of them.

Like the second one. Would have been better if she wouldn't have looked at you and you would have move slightly to the left, so the wood wouldn't be in her face. Like the b&w idea too.

These are quite impressive, including the first. To see such straight back under the load in an elderly lady, cool.
Nice of her to pose for you and be happy with your taking her photo! I don't mind the bit of wood in her face. It's part of the context this "portrait shoot" is in: all just outside "candid" (save the first, of course), but still very spontaneous. I like such spontaneous portraits!
And OF COURSE I love all the greenery around her! Lovely background colour!!!

Like the second one. Would have been better if she wouldn't have looked at you and you would have move slightly to the left, so the wood wouldn't be in her face. Like the b&w idea too.

Thank you Janineh. I think that I got the best out of the situation. I between thick bushes/trees on a little trail and couldn't move to the left nor the right. I tried to tell her to turn the wood a little to the side but she just got confused (no English, all in the local language).
Back in the jungle on a little trail with an ancient lady who doesn't understand English is a little different than in a studio. But I get what you are saying. If I would have had the chance I would have done it a little different. The situation wasn't that perfect but whatever.... she got someone to carry her wood.

These are quite impressive, including the first. To see such straight back under the load in an elderly lady, cool.
Nice of her to pose for you and be happy with your taking her photo! I don't mind the bit of wood in her face. It's part of the context this "portrait shoot" is in: all just outside "candid" (save the first, of course), but still very spontaneous. I like such spontaneous portraits!
And OF COURSE I love all the greenery around her! Lovely background colour!!!

Thank you very much Corinna. Glad you like them!

Here a B&W version. I personally don't really like this, doesn't look like the greatest B&W. Might just be me.

IMG_8337.jpg

I like the color version better. The second is my favorite, mostly because you can really see her face and I just love old people's face--they have such character and depth to them.

Now what I *really* want to know is:
Did you carry her firewood on YOUR head?? :lol:

I think they are beautiful. Number two is my favorite. Great story.

Now what I *really* want to know is:
Did you carry her firewood on YOUR head?? :lol:

...No I didn't, I had my camera + heavy lens in one hand and firewood on the shoulder. I have carried lots of stuff on my head and I must say that especially heavy stuff is allot easier.. She was sure that I was crazy tired with that puny bunch of sticks on my shoulder and would ask it about every other step, although my arm was sleeping when we finally reached her mud-house. Absolutely everything gets carried on the heads here.

Most reactions

Back