phseven
TPF Noob!
- Joined
- Apr 7, 2011
- Messages
- 2
- Reaction score
- 0
- Location
- Mallorca, Spain
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all! New here and registered because I kept finding great advice from members when I googled different topics. I'm hoping some of your wiser heads can help me out.
I have a Nikon D3100 which I bought just over 6 months ago with a Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 lens. I love the camera and this lens covers most of my needs at the moment. I'm very much a hobbyist and don't have huge amounts of money to spend (already maxed the budget on what I have, though made a little back by selling the kit lens which came with the camera).
Here's my dilemma: I occasionally like to do some very long-range shooting (certain candid work, etc.) and will be off to the F1 Barcelona Grand Prix in May. The reach of my lens at 200mm just isn't enough for these occasions but I have virtually zero budget so another lens at the moment just isn't an option. Full zoom and significant crop with this lens is very soft and especially as I will probably have to bump the ISO to catch those F1 cars flying past.
Two possible solutions:
1) Spend 60-120euros (almost certainly not the upper end) on a Vivitar 2x converter for my current lens. I believe the aperture control will still work but I may lose autofocus? Is the quality actually going to be any good at the effective 400mm or will it just be very soft and very dark?
2) I have some old kit from my days as a B&W film photography student. However, it is all Pentax mount. The gear includes a Tamron 70-210mm f2.8 (?) which I loved back then and a 2x converter which working brilliantly with it to make a 140-420mm f5.6. I could purchase, for around 20-30euros, a mount converter to use these two on my Nikon D3100 but have no idea what the results would be like. Also, as my Nikon D3100 is DX format, does that mean the Tamron would be subject to a 1.5x sensor effect, creating a 200-600mm lens? If so it's very attractive as a budget solution.
I suppose for 30euros I don't have much to lose but don't want to spend it then find it's rubbish and have to buy the 2x Vivitar for my new Tamron lens, then find out that's rubbish aswell!
I know what you pay is generally what you get and that I won't get perfect pictures for little money, however, This Grand Prix is perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime for me and I want to get the best I can with what I can afford.
All suggestions extremely welcome. Please help me out of this confusion!
I have a Nikon D3100 which I bought just over 6 months ago with a Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 lens. I love the camera and this lens covers most of my needs at the moment. I'm very much a hobbyist and don't have huge amounts of money to spend (already maxed the budget on what I have, though made a little back by selling the kit lens which came with the camera).
Here's my dilemma: I occasionally like to do some very long-range shooting (certain candid work, etc.) and will be off to the F1 Barcelona Grand Prix in May. The reach of my lens at 200mm just isn't enough for these occasions but I have virtually zero budget so another lens at the moment just isn't an option. Full zoom and significant crop with this lens is very soft and especially as I will probably have to bump the ISO to catch those F1 cars flying past.
Two possible solutions:
1) Spend 60-120euros (almost certainly not the upper end) on a Vivitar 2x converter for my current lens. I believe the aperture control will still work but I may lose autofocus? Is the quality actually going to be any good at the effective 400mm or will it just be very soft and very dark?
2) I have some old kit from my days as a B&W film photography student. However, it is all Pentax mount. The gear includes a Tamron 70-210mm f2.8 (?) which I loved back then and a 2x converter which working brilliantly with it to make a 140-420mm f5.6. I could purchase, for around 20-30euros, a mount converter to use these two on my Nikon D3100 but have no idea what the results would be like. Also, as my Nikon D3100 is DX format, does that mean the Tamron would be subject to a 1.5x sensor effect, creating a 200-600mm lens? If so it's very attractive as a budget solution.
I suppose for 30euros I don't have much to lose but don't want to spend it then find it's rubbish and have to buy the 2x Vivitar for my new Tamron lens, then find out that's rubbish aswell!
I know what you pay is generally what you get and that I won't get perfect pictures for little money, however, This Grand Prix is perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime for me and I want to get the best I can with what I can afford.
All suggestions extremely welcome. Please help me out of this confusion!