old lense on new camera?

chesney001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site as well as the world of photography. I know very little about photography, but was always fascinated with it. I've been reading through this site the past few days and the wealth of knowledge here is amazing. I'm looking to buy a lower end digital SLR camera (keep in mind I'm a poor college student).

My question is this, I have a Vivitar 28-210mm lens from my Dad's old Minolta 35mm film camera, would this lens fit on any of the new digital SLR cameras? If so, which ones? This will help me on making a decision in purchasing a new camera.

Any help for this newbie is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Sadly the meters of entry level DSLR so D80, D70, D60, D3000, D5000 (Maybe the D90 not sure) and cheaper film cameras will not work with the lens, so you'll be on your own guessing exposure.

if it's an autofocus lens, it will fit sony's.

Otherwise you're SOL.

My question is this, I have a Vivitar 28-210mm lens from my Dad's old Minolta 35mm film camera, would this lens fit on any of the new digital SLR cameras? ...

If the lens is from an old Minolta branded manual focus camera it will not fit any current cameras. It could be made to fit some by using an adapter, but it would not connect to the metering system on most cameras. Those that can meter with old adapted lenses still function in only a limited way.

If the lens is from a Minolta Maxxum branded camera, Minolta's line of autofocus cameras, it will fit the current Sony Alpha series DSLRs. Sony acquired Minolta's Maxxum line of cameras and continues development of the series.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it is manual focus.

How do the 6MP cameras compare to the newer 10+ MP cameras?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back