Old lenses: can they be used on newer SLRs?

redhandle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. I have an old Nikon FE2 camera with an assortment of lenses, including a Nikkor 50mm f1.8. Can this or any of the other lenses I have be used with a new digital SLR, Nikon or otherwise?

I'm looking at purchasing a new SLR and want to know if any of my old stuff can still be used.

Thanks!

First. Thank You :thumbup: for using the appropriate capital letters. Few new members do.

Nikon has used the same mount since 1959, the F-Mount.

If your older lenses are not auto focus lenses, obviously they won't auto focus on today's Nikon dSLR's. Plus, because of auto focus today's Nikons do not have the viewfinder focusing aids (split screen) usually found in a camera like the FE2.

You need to provide more specific information about the lenses you have. Are they AI or AI-S lenses? Many Nikon entry-level cameras will not meter AI or AI-S lenses, but the prosumer and up bodies will.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, Keith. The lenses are all AIS as far as I can tell. The whole rig was something I have had for years but never used, so I'm not very familiar with any of it (given to me by a distant relative who no longer used it). There is the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 I mentioned, a Nikkor 55mm 2.8, and a Quantaray Auto Zoom 75-200mm 1:45 Macro, as well as a Zykkor Auto 2X Teleconverter.

There is also a Sunpak Auto 433 D flash unit -- I'd also be interested to know if that is in any way usable on a dSLR.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back