Old Lenses on New Camera?`

It is? Are you sure? http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D40_noprint.pdf I don't actually see it listed.
I mounted and used a 55mm f/1.2 on my D200, and the incompatibility list for both cameras is the same.

Btw I'm jealous. The 55mm f/1.2 is much much sharper wide open than my 50mm f/1.2 :(

/EDIT: I just looked at some photos online the 55mm f/1.2 looks *and I only say looks* identical to my 50mm f/1.2, and comparing the 50mm f/1.2 to the AF 50mm 1.8, including the protective rim they extend the same distance into the camera body. I would really get this double checked, it would be a shame not to be able to use that lens.

I know it's a no go on my S2, and my F4. I don't remember where I saw it, but I believe there was a ? as to fit, the 55 1.2 S-C isn't all that common of a lens (and apparently going up in price quickly...). At least some of us agree, seems the usual consensus is that they're dogs, at least according to Bjorn's website. I've been using mine since the late 70's with my F (that I still have), and the biggest single difference I find is that the 50 is a bit contrastier, not always a good thing. I have the same opinion about my 180 2.8, it's the earliest AI version, non ED and has a certain look that the later ones lack. (as does my AI'd 35 f2 Nikkor-O). I shot this with the 55 1.2, probably 20 years ago, when the Vietnam Veterans Memorial first opened, probably around 1983 or 4, with an F3/MD4 (on film, of course)
film83.jpg

I do know that the general consensus is the 135 f2 (early AI version) isn't all that great close up, yet this shot (with a PK-13 tube) proves that it's definately sharp and contrasty (not color corrected or sharpened, a test jpg straight out of the S2):

lish_test_color.jpg

I've got a friend with a D3 about 2 hours away, he's coming over one of these weekends to spend some time with the Hassy and RBs, as he's looking to get into MF, and I get to spend a few hours with a D3 and my 20+ year old collection of lenses to see which will work well with a FF sensor, not that I can afford a D700 or D3 yet....

Ahh that one. The 4th generation 55mm f/1.2. The one I was referring to having used was the 5th generation one with the round lens barrel, and not the ribbed one.

Not sure how it compares but here's a picture of my 50mm f/1.2, the rib to protect the rear element sits precisely 30mils (.76mm) above the rear element when zoomed to infinity, and is 140mils (3.6mm) above the actual gripping of the F-mount.:
frendakfurnarinikon50-2.jpg

One thing is certain when I finally upgrade to a D700 or D4 (if it's out) in a few years I will try and source 70s era Noct-Nikkor AI 58mm f/1.2. I saw one of those go on ebay for $2800US just recently, oh that's a drool worthy lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back