Old mountain cabin

I thought I saw this place before.

fjhymo.jpg

Here you go. I used your second image and did not adjust any color all I did was add the light rays and I made them more subtle.

compaq-1.jpg

Pretty neat. How do you do it? I tried doing something similar by adjusting the offset slider (exposure panel), and masking out everything but the where I wanted the rays to be. It looked like I would get a result pretty close to yours if I'd done a proper job.

So, what's your technique? :)

Compaq -

When doing the rays of light I have a few methods. I created my own in photoshop by adding a blank layer then using my polygonal lasso tool and filling with white. I then will add a gaussian blur to it and in different circumstances add a cloud filter to give it a foggy look. I will also add a color over lay depending on lighting and a glow. I then create a mask and use the gradient tool and make sure its black and transparent and then drag a line from the ending point to the starting point or half way so the light ray/ fog fades out like normal light would.

Another method I use are brushes. These do not work for every situation because there are preset light ray brushes and well anything that is a preset works for curtain situations only. You can buy or download free light ray brushes. When using them you just want to do similar things such as fading the light changing adding a glows, colors, foggy look and dust particles.

So yeah these are the two methods I have used in the past. hope it helps. My processing style is heavily weighted by my graphic design background. I am a big time pixel pusher and look at a picture and think what can I do to this to make it pop, make if feel surreal, make it feel like if you are in another world. I love a good untouched actual photo just as much as I love a good processed image and everything in between.

Thanks, vip, great information there. I always sit back in awe when I read about your workflow. You know your tools!

Here's another one from the cabin. Kitchen shelves. I didn't notice that plastic bag until today. It's a little bit hard to clone out properly, at least for me. So I'll leave it there and use the excuse of "modern person in primitive cabin", hehe :) The top most book is labled "Book of the Month from The Book Club".

Kjøkenhylle by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

And another one of the shelf/living room/guest room.

Stova 2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Nice!... i like that Stova 2, Is it small in there? It likes like its a tight space. Well I could not resist to try this out. This time I added atmospheric fog inside along with dust particles. With the glow around that window it seemed like it was a perfect candidate, next time take
your bag of dust to through in the air :sexywink:

It is a little thicker on this one but, I also think it adds to that early morning old log cabin vibe.

compaq2.jpg

Yup, very tight. I'd guesstimate apprx 4 metres across. I stood about in the middle of the room, taking Stova 2 (which just means "Living room 2"). The 11-16mm/2.8 really shines thorugh, here. 18mm of a kit lens would be too "tele" to really fit everything in.
Again, I like your edit. I really should learn to do this! Or better yet, start having a dust bag with at such times :) Great suggestion! :D

Here's one from the kitchen. A box of old coffee, some old postcards and other stuff on the bench, here.

MILLS kokmalt kaffe by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

out of the last batch I like 2 and 4 the best. 4 would have looked real cool if you were able to get the whole house in the frame. Is that still snow on the mountains? It is freegen hot here in Tucson ....... wanna trade?

While I realize that VIP added the light coming in from the window, it's the image I like the best. The tonal value is just so much richer, while the original images seem bland and washed out.

While I realize that VIP added the light coming in from the window, it's the image I like the best. The tonal value is just so much richer, while the original images seem bland and washed out.

Yup, still snow at around 1000 metres above sea level, I'd say. This spring has been crazy. We've had the warmest March ever, and the coldest April in 46 years :lmao:

out of the last batch I like 2 and 4 the best. 4 would have looked real cool if you were able to get the whole house in the frame. Is that still snow on the mountains? It is freegen hot here in Tucson ....... wanna trade?

Yea, those really are awesome. I will try to remember to bring a dust bag next time I go somewhere similar!

Thanks, Demers!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back