Old Nikkor lens on a new DSLR?

That lens will mount and shoot fine (in M mode), but the d90 will not meter thru the lens without help of a cpu in the lens. The d200/300/700 and d3 will meter with those old lenses, so it could be used in "A" mode on those cameras.

It's an awesome lens... expect it to be pretty soft wide open, but that's part of the character of the lens.

55m f/1.2: This sample is a pre-AI version. It has been AI converted by a machinist. The conversion is not a factory conversion and may or may not work on modern bodies.

45mm f/2.8 GN: This is a pre-AI version (they all are) that has a proper factory AI conversion.

Thank you so much for the explanation.
One ignorant question though:
How can you tell what type of conversion was done?

the non solid "rabbit ears" are a hint that it's been converted, but I'm not sure how you tell factory from non-factory.

55m f/1.2: This sample is a pre-AI version. It has been AI converted by a machinist. The conversion is not a factory conversion and may or may not work on modern bodies.

45mm f/2.8 GN: This is a pre-AI version (they all are) that has a proper factory AI conversion.

Thank you so much for the explanation.
One ignorant question though:
How can you tell what type of conversion was done?

I have beady little eyes :)

Custom machined conversions create the AI coupling ridge by machining away the overhanging lip of the f/stop ring, as is the case with your 55mm, or adding an extra metal tab to provide the function. This later approach is often necessary with non-Nikon lenses whose f/stop rings don't overhang the lens flange (Nikkors do this to help keep dirt away from the flange faces). Proper factory/service center conversions use a factory made replacement f/stop ring. This factory made ring will also have the second "ADR" f/stop scale used by some cameras (F2A, F3, ...) to show the f/stop in the VF. They will also have the newer style meter coupling prong/fork (if it hasn't been subsequently removed) that has holes to allow more light to reach the f/5.6 section of the ADR scale.

Telling a factory converted late model pre-AI lens (rubber focusing grip versions) from a born-AI lens is difficult without careful examination of the rear baffles and tabs along with the subtle difference in the rubber grip. AI-s lenses, like yours, are easier as their minimum aperture will be painted a burnt orange color to match the color used for the "P" and "S" settings on the shutter speed dial of the cameras comtemporary with those lenses since the minimum aperture must to set when using those exposure modes.

Just mount the lens; if its not going to work its not like its going to blow up your camera. The only way you can damage your camera is if you try to mount something on it and force it to fit.

Just mount the lens; if its not going to work its not like its going to blow up your camera. The only way you can damage your camera is if you try to mount something on it and force it to fit.

Good to know. I was not worried it would actually blow up, but I was worried that it would scrape/bend/gouge/whatever...

I would agree with ALL of Dwig's comments regarding all three lenses. The 55mm has simply had some of the "buckhorns" machined off,along with some of the aperture control ridge on the TOP----but on the D90, the CRITICAL clearance is not the AI-coupling ridge or the AI-indexing ledge on the lens--the critical clearance is on the bottom of the lens mounting area, at the 7 o'clock position, where the minimum aperture sensing tab is located on a D80 or D90,and many other cameras. The machinist who milled off the back of the aperrture ring on the 55mm lens might not have also removed adequate (if ANY) metal on the bottom of the aperture ring, since when the conversion was done is unsure, and the minimum aperture sensing tab was NOT use on NIkon bodies of the 1970s and 1980s....many, but not all, pre-AI Nikkors had what are now sometimes called "fat aperture rings", which can break off that plastic tab a 7 o'clock on the body...

The 45 GN has a factory Ai conversion, with a replacement aperture ring. And secondary aperture scale.

The 24/2 is an AiS...the minimum aperture in orange, the holes in the buckhorns, and the secondary Aperture Direct Readout aperture scale also in color, plus the rubber focusing ring and aperture ring style, plus Nikon familiarity, all put this as an Ai-S lens. EDIT: OOPS!!! I typed out a reply while still on page 1...I didn't realize this had already been answered.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back