Old people. Tips please

I don't understand what you guys are on about...

How can you get past that fact that the most prominent subject is a bush?

Oh, and did I tell ya, that the reason I opened this thread in the first place was because I thought the OP wanted tips from old people.
Now.....where are my aspirin?

I don't understand what you guys are on about...

How can you get past that fact that the most prominent subject is a bush?

neither are great, but between the 2 I choose the crop as well. Bush or not. I dont care.

Hello there... I've got to say, I like the idea of having them centered. The rule of thirds is a good GUIDELINE, it should be called the guideline of thirds.. anyway, I find that the photo is quite busy and I seem to focus more on everything other than the couple... what I would have changed, is perhaps, snuck directly behind them, have the bench centered, the horizon in the top "two thirds" of the photograph. And it seems to me that the sun is more towards the front of the couple.. And perhaps create more of a silhouette of the couple.. Anyway. My idea of the photos is completely CHANGING what you have lol. I like the whole idea you have... I personally would have done something to create a different effect..

I'm with Max on this one, I find that in the cropped version, the bush becomes the star.... the old people just sort of fade into the background in it.

Jason

actually, after going away for a while, then coming back for a 2nd peak, I change my mind. I dig the original over the crop. Funny how taking a step back for a while can cause that.

You incorrectly spelled the word "aesthetic." "ascetic" is a very different thing.

And no, It's not more aesthetically pleasing.

Following the rule of thirds does not make you "better," as you say.
As for your response to my original post, there are a couple things you ought to take note of.

2) I think it's plain to see that my suggestion proved far more useful in this case. Take your photoshopped version, for example. Your advice to follow the rule of thirds has turned a bush into the primary subject. Your brightness adjustment, which we might consider "better light" actually improved the shot.
3) The lighting was all I felt like commenting on. It certainly wasn't the only thing that I examined.

1 Yes it is. They don't even look like the subject in the first photo because the camera is too far away. They are more of the subject in the crop!

2 Max you don't have to resort to being a douche bag because spelling isn't my strong point.

3 I never said rule of thirds makes you a "better photographer" over the next guy. I simply stated that knowing and practicing this rule will greatly improve the shots.

Also on another note. I said use the rule of thirds. I didn't say use it to make the subject fade into the background. I was commenting on what she should do for the next time. If she would have used the rule of thirds and framed it so the "Old people" were the subject, then yes this shot would have been dramatically better. The crop was just working with what she gave me... I could not control where that bush was. But she could have when she was shooting it.

If you insist. What do I know? I'm just a douche bag.

As a side note, I've discovered over the years that the vast majority of guys stop using that phrase once they learn what it means. Just food for thought.

Ok, just some food for thought, but I didn't think the first photo was really disobeying the God Forbid rule of thirds.

The couple are in the lower mid quadrant, and the boats in the top right quadrant. Whatever crop really doesn't change that so much, just more pronounced in the crop version.

Am I wrong here? I'm not a rules person anyway, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

They appear that way but they're not. They're pretty dead-centered and framed by the bush on the right and the tree on the left. Break out your ruler in PS and have a look.

They appear that way but they're not. They're pretty dead-centered and framed by the bush on the right and the tree on the left. Break out your ruler in PS and have a look.

If I have to break out a ruler, then it's prolly too close to call. Anyway, I don't believe too much in the 1950 PPA standards of the rule of the thirds. That's just me.

If I have to break out a ruler, then it's prolly too close to call. Anyway, I don't believe too much in the 1950 PPA standards of the rule of the thirds. That's just me.

You're preachin' to the choir on that one.

If you insist. What do I know? I'm just a douche bag.

As a side note, I've discovered over the years that the vast majority of guys stop using that phrase once they learn what it means. Just food for thought.

I couldn't agree more max.

I also think that a5 should spend more time thinking before posting- there are better vocab choices to get your point across. Also, judging by your posting history you have somewhat of a temper.

rule of thirds or not. the original would be choice.

I couldn't agree more max.

I also think that a5 should spend more time thinking before posting- there are better vocab choices to get your point across. Also, judging by your posting history you have somewhat of a temper.

No I think I used the proper term.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back