Old Photography + General Photo Editing

jakezori

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Lately I've been looking into different types of photographs and the history of photography. I would love a semi-cheap way to take some "old school" photographs. Perhaps a good Camera Obscura, or a tintype... Any suggestions? (also, I don't fully understand infrared photography, a link explaining it would be awesome.)

I have always used Picasa for general photo editing as it seems to suit my needs quite well, but for the "more advanced basic" editing I would love to use Photoshop (I have CS3, thinking about upgrading) or something like it, but I am unsure how. Do you know a good video guide that will help me get started? Just on simple photo editing though, not manipulation and extraction and stuff.

Thanks!

Pinhole photography is always fun, gives a cool looking image, and there are dozens of tutorials on the net on how to build your own camera.

Hello, state college neighbor!

also, I don't fully understand infrared photography, a link explaining it would be awesome.)

I'm not sure what there is to understand about it other than you need a sensor sensitive in the IR range and a filter designed to pass IR and block everything else. As far as links go, I would recommend using something called a search engine ...

I have always used Picasa for general photo editing as it seems to suit my needs quite well, but for the "more advanced basic" editing I would love to use Photoshop (I have CS3, thinking about upgrading) or something like it, but I am unsure how. Do you know a good video guide that will help me get started? Just on simple photo editing though, not manipulation and extraction and stuff.

Check PSU's library. They have tons of photoshop-related material, including video. Why would you even think about upgrading if you haven't even learned to use what you have?

I personally would suggest getting a pinhole camera or something like a holga 120. shooting with black and white film you can get some really cool "old school" shots. holgas are really fun and cheap.

also you can go to your local antique shop and find a box style pinhole camera. they are way fun to play around with and I personally like them better then the DIY pinhole camers because they are sturdier and look cool as a decoration ;)

and if you want to do film, you can get it developed (or develop and scan it yourself) and put onto a cd so you can edit it with PS or another program of your choice. I would suggest getting cs4 or cs5 and maybe lightroom. all 3 are amazing products

astro: I use photoshop for fun stuff like extracting and manipulation, but I don't know all the easy uses.

Although the holga 120 seems rad, I'm looking for an older camera, but perhaps my price range atm doesn't allow for one. =p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back