Old stump, new life.

AdventuresInMyTrustyBoots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A huge old upturned stump supports the life of a young tree. This was taken on my first real outing with my new Nikon d810.
DSC_0535-4.jpg

Wow great Catch! I would however crop off some of the left side. The blue is so powerful that it seems to overpower the tree for attention.

Wow great Catch! I would however crop off some of the left side. The blue is so powerful that it seems to overpower the tree for attention.

I'd agree with this. If you change the aspect ratio to 4:3, you'd keep all of the pink sky above the trees, and have more focus on your subject.

The original looks good to me.

Reactions: alv
Haven't stumbled upon any photogenic stumps as of yet. Hehe. Still very much a noob, but I'll toss my .02 in.

Original version: Have to agree the blue is fighting for attention. With those great colors and reflection off the lake, it's hard not to include. But, just as distracting is the dead tree on the right. To me, anyway. Maybe a step or two to the right.........

Portrait version: I really want to like this one. Shows more detail of the new growth. Gets rid of the dead tree. Also includes those great colors. But, as you were afraid of, it takes up too much of the frame. And all that dead grass on the bottom. Maybe a square crop to get rid of it. I would probably do that and keep it just to show the details to my friends.

Cropped version: This one slightly edges out the others for me. Only because of the above issues. Fixes all of those.

I like the first one as is. The colors and the stump somehow compliment each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the third crop looks the most balanced.

As you can see, there are as many opinions as there are photographers. Go with what makes you smile and happy! I like it as it was originally shot and think it's the best looking stump I have seen posted!:applouse:

Most reactions

Back