Old West - Antlers Hotel Lobby - Walden Co.

Funny you talk so much crap about hdr and then here you go....If I or someone else would have posted this you would have nothing but negative comments.

Your colors don't look natural. the floor is orange and whats up with that neon electric plant on the left? My eyes burn.....

hahaha.. just straight exposure fusion... none of that ugly A$$ tone mapping! That floor IS that color... a very warm honey gold... and that is one of those ugly plastic/silk fake plants! I didn't get any comments from any of the Overly TONE MAPPED HDR haters on here, and they would blast me just like anyone else if I made HDR cartoons! :)

Thats not even an HDR, get your story straight.

Exposure Fusion is the process of creating a low dynamic range (LDR) image from a series of bracketed exposures. Its not HDR (High Dynamic Range). HDR process produces an image that tries to capture the true nature of light in an environment, while Exposure Fusion simply tries to produce a single well exposed LDR using multiple LDR's.

Just thought if you were going to post this you should at least know what you are talking about.

And silk fake plant or real...they are not that glow in the dark in real life...thats just an excuse.

Then call it LDR... I could care less! All I know is it looks like the real thing... not a CARTOON! :) So you are saying that stuff you call HDR actually "captures the true nature of light in an environment"???... it might look like that if you on LSD!

Oh.. that little bit of green on the fake plant.. that is daylight coming through a curtain! pretty obvious if you LOOK at it!

Last edited:
All I know is it looks like the real thing... not a CARTOON! :)

What you see from me is top quality processing that you can not even touch :whip:..I know you wish you could but you don't have the skills in photoshop just yet. Give yourself some time and then come see me!;)

So you are saying that stuff you call HDR actually "captures the true nature of light in an environment"???... it might look like that if you on LSD!

Oh kinda like your flowers that are super saturated, that looks like some posters for :hippie: (hippie) on LSD... Yeah your right..and you did that without even doing HDR or tone mapping...congradts!

Oh.. that little bit of green on the fake plant.. that is daylight coming through a curtain! pretty obvious if you LOOK at it!

WOW I never knew the sun daylight turned plants into hydroponic green...Where do you live that the sun has that effect? Excuses because you have an error in your processing....come see me when your ready to really learn how to
process using photoshop.:hugs:

This is what I think of this argument. Vipgraphx, I really do not know who is wrong who is right on this HDR argument and I really dont care. All I know is, I avoid your HDR posts because it is really not my cup of tea. I think that is what a photograph would look like if I smoke meth. I have seen some really nice HDRs but none coming from you. When you do post non HDR stuff, I haven't really seen anything that good.

p600399123.jpg

All I know is it looks like the real thing... not a CARTOON! :)
What you see from me is top quality processing that you can not even touch :whip:..I know you wish you could but you don't have the skills in photoshop just yet. Give yourself some time and then come see me!;)

I admit I am not very strong in photoshop! Never needed to be... I seldom shoot images that require it. If you have these massive skills in Photoshop, then WHY are even your NON-HDR shots underwhelming? Photoshop does not make the photo.. the photographer does. Photoshop can enhance it.. but it cannot make a bad image a good image!

So you are saying that stuff you call HDR actually "captures the true nature of light in an environment"???... it might look like that if you on LSD!

Oh kinda like your flowers that are super saturated, that looks like some posters for :hippie: (hippie) on LSD... Yeah your right..and you did that without even doing HDR or tone mapping...congradts!

As mentioned, they are a particular type of ART Form! Pop Art! Anyone that knows anything about art will instantly recognize that. That doesn't mean you will appreciate it.. Pop Art may not be your "thing"! However, they have been well received by many who ARE knowledgeable about ART (both here and elsewhere).. and I value their opinions much more than I value the opinions of someone who obviously knows very little about art... especially when this negativity is stemming from maliciousness rather then a objective view!

here I will even try to help you learn:

The Art Story: Pop Art Movement
Pop Art - The Internet's Premier Pop Art source specializing in Andy Warhol editions.
MoMA | The Collection | Pop art
Pop art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some Pop Art (Op Art and other) artists (Just a few I have enjoyed):
Richard Hamilton (artist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (considered to be the "father" of pop art, along with David Hockney)
David Hockney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (considered to be the "father" of pop art, along with Richard Hamilton)
László Moholy-Nagy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bridget Riley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Photographic) One of my favorites.. I have done several shots that were inspired by her work.
Victor Vasarely - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Photographic)
Corita Kent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WOW I never knew the sun daylight turned plants into hydroponic green...Where do you live that the sun has that effect? Excuses because you have an error in your processing....come see me when your ready to really learn how to
process using photoshop.:hugs:

Whatever! You may have some photoshop skills (I would hope so, based on your chosen business)... But being good at photoshop does not beat being a proficient photographer, IMO!

See now we are getting somewhere. Your flower pictures you call art I call crap, your right its not my thing. Even if it was painted or screened its not my thing. There is many art that I do not like and then there some that I really like. This is more your thing. I think I can remember back when you argued and others about how HDR photography is not art..I argued that it could be when it is pushed to look like a painting, airbrushed or cartoony. There are many people out there that love HDR and pictures like I post and its my thing and not yours. People appreciate the processing techniques and all the little things that go into the processing that make the photos pop. I will use flickr as an example. Do you see how many HDR photos of similar style are out there. YOU may not like them or appreciate them but, just like your flower picture you call art or pop art people look at those as an expressive art or photo processed art or what ever else they want to call it. Trey Ratcliff is famous for his HDR work and a lot of his work is vibrant and somewhat non realistic while other is more realistic and that guy has done very well for himself.

You can not say your flower is art and then say my work is not. Even if you hate my work which I can accept its not fair to be hypocritical about it. Thats my point! You say you get it out of the camera right and no need for photoshop, great then why even do this LDR almost HDR shot? because you can not get all that info in one single exposure. This is where you need something like HDR of fusion to kick in and make it happen. This to me is fascinating and rather than bash other people for their over the top work perhaps you could be more open minded and look for the good not always the bad or just do not post such negative comments. Were people have liked my work you have come in and bashed it. Thats not cool there is no respect there. When I joined this forum I was never disrespectful to you and others. All I was trying to do is come and learn and try to become a better photographer which is not my profession. People like you try to rob people like me out of the joy of doing things and thats not cool!

I will say hands down you have more experience than me in photography and are more experienced with understanding lighting for photo shoots. I will never argue that I am better than you. My profession is graphic design and printing as you know. Photography is something on the side and I think way tooooo many people here take this to serious.

Point is through out all this is this, You bashed HDR but then attempt it, you bash non natural looking photos and colors but then you apply it to yours (flowers) and call it art but, argue when people push their HDRs doing the same thing you are doing. Perhaps you can be a little more open to the fact art is in the eye of the beholder and their is not just only one way of looking at things. Just because you don't like it does not mean its crap!

See now we are getting somewhere. Your flower pictures you call art I call crap...
...yadda yadda....
...Just because you don't like it does not mean its crap!

:scratch:

... This to me is fascinating and rather than bash other people for their over the top work perhaps you could be more open minded and look for the good not always the bad or just do not post such negative comments.

Uh-huh.
This is what I tell the youth I know who posts things on FB about how sick they are of all the drama: If you are constantly posting about how sick you are of the drama, you might just want to stop for a few minutes and consider what the SOURCE of the drama might be.
Same thing goes on TPF. Just sayin'. :D

Charlie--I love this! That's all. I don't know if it's HDR/LDR/DRI (DRama Inducing) or just plain ole' photography, I like looking at it.

See now we are getting somewhere. Your flower pictures you call art I call crap, your right its not my thing. Even if it was painted or screened its not my thing. There is many art that I do not like and then there some that I really like. This is more your thing. I think I can remember back when you argued and others about how HDR photography is not art..I argued that it could be when it is pushed to look like a painting, airbrushed or cartoony. There are many people out there that love HDR and pictures like I post and its my thing and not yours. People appreciate the processing techniques and all the little things that go into the processing that make the photos pop. I will use flickr as an example. Do you see how many HDR photos of similar style are out there. YOU may not like them or appreciate them but, just like your flower picture you call art or pop art people look at those as an expressive art or photo processed art or what ever else they want to call it. Trey Ratcliff is famous for his HDR work and a lot of his work is vibrant and somewhat non realistic while other is more realistic and that guy has done very well for himself.

You can not say your flower is art and then say my work is not. Even if you hate my work which I can accept its not fair to be hypocritical about it. Thats my point! You say you get it out of the camera right and no need for photoshop, great then why even do this LDR almost HDR shot? because you can not get all that info in one single exposure. This is where you need something like HDR of fusion to kick in and make it happen. This to me is fascinating and rather than bash other people for their over the top work perhaps you could be more open minded and look for the good not always the bad or just do not post such negative comments. Were people have liked my work you have come in and bashed it. Thats not cool there is no respect there. When I joined this forum I was never disrespectful to you and others. All I was trying to do is come and learn and try to become a better photographer which is not my profession. People like you try to rob people like me out of the joy of doing things and thats not cool!

I will say hands down you have more experience than me in photography and are more experienced with understanding lighting for photo shoots. I will never argue that I am better than you. My profession is graphic design and printing as you know. Photography is something on the side and I think way tooooo many people here take this to serious.

Point is through out all this is this, You bashed HDR but then attempt it, you bash non natural looking photos and colors but then you apply it to yours (flowers) and call it art but, argue when people push their HDRs doing the same thing you are doing. Perhaps you can be a little more open to the fact art is in the eye of the beholder and their is not just only one way of looking at things. Just because you don't like it does not mean its crap!

We will have to agree to disagree! As stated in the past! There is good HDR (IMO) and BAD HDR (IMO) as there is good and bad in everything. I was doing HDR (or LDR Exposure fusion, call it what you want!) by hand starting back in the mid 90's... on photoshop v3, because of the lack of dynamic range in early digital cameras. I did Exposure fusion (sort of) in the darkroom(70s, 80s), burning and dodging to bring out details in prints like I wanted them.

But I do prefer a natural looking photo.. not something fuzzy, or grungy... or heavily tone mapped. To me, there is a distinct difference in true HDR and Tonemapping, and apparently there are those that agree.. so they are now calling it LDR, even though you process multiple images with multiple exposures that same exact way, minus the Tone Mapping. And that link you posted.. the LDR looks much more realistic than the HDR example they posted.... To me, at least! I will call my stuff LDR from now on, although I consider it silly! HDR has sadly become synonymous with Tone Mapping, which is why they changed the name of this process to LDR.

See now we are getting somewhere. Your flower pictures you call art I call crap...
...yadda yadda....
...Just because you don't like it does not mean its crap!

:scratch:

... This to me is fascinating and rather than bash other people for their over the top work perhaps you could be more open minded and look for the good not always the bad or just do not post such negative comments.

Uh-huh.
This is what I tell the youth I know who posts things on FB about how sick they are of all the drama: If you are constantly posting about how sick you are of the drama, you might just want to stop for a few minutes and consider what the SOURCE of the drama might be.
Same thing goes on TPF. Just sayin'. :D

Charlie--I love this! That's all. I don't know if it's HDR/LDR/DRI (DRama Inducing) or just plain ole' photography, I like looking at it.

Thank you Sharon! As always, you are gracious and kind (and I enjoy your sense of humor!). :)

We will have to agree to disagree! As stated in the past! There is good HDR (IMO) and BAD HDR (IMO) as there is good and bad in everything. I was doing HDR (or LDR Exposure fusion, call it what you want!) by hand starting back in the mid 90's... on photoshop v3, because of the lack of dynamic range in early digital cameras. I did Exposure fusion (sort of) in the darkroom(70s, 80s), burning and dodging to bring out details in prints like I wanted them.

But I do prefer a natural looking photo.. not something fuzzy, or grungy... or heavily tone mapped. To me, there is a distinct difference in true HDR and Tonemapping, and apparently there are those that agree.. so they are now calling it LDR, even though you process multiple images with multiple exposures that same exact way, minus the Tone Mapping. And that link you posted.. the LDR looks much more realistic than the HDR example they posted.... To me, at least! I will call my stuff LDR from now on, although I consider it silly! HDR has sadly become synonymous with Tone Mapping, which is why they changed the name of this process to LDR.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree, but, I also ask that you stop posting rude or condescending comments and snide remarks at me...Just have a level of respect as I first gave you! Thats all I ever asked for.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree, but, I also ask that you stop posting rude or condescending comments and snide remarks at me...Just have a level of respect as I first gave you! Thats all I ever asked for.

You have improved your processing immensely in the past few months (several people have commented on it)... and the whale shot comment was not meant to be facetious. I was pulling your leg a little... but I meant it when I said that you had captured it well. I hope that will suffice.....

Someone some day is going to have to explain to me how you edit just one section to remove strong shadows. Final product is AMAZING! Love the twinkle of lights on the floor. Gives it a Rustic Glamor vibe.

Someone some day is going to have to explain to me how you edit just one section to remove strong shadows. Final product is AMAZING! Love the twinkle of lights on the floor. Gives it a Rustic Glamor vibe.

Thank you! It is rather simple really. You take multiple images of a subject, each at a different exposure. You can do three images with a 2 stop change in exposure, or you can do 9 images with a 1 stop change in exposure, or anywhere in between (or more). you then use special software (or Photoshop) to combine all those exposures together. With practice and good software, you get all of the properly exposed parts of the images combined and it looks normal. Just exposure fusion is apparently now called Low Dynamic Range technique (LDR). You can also do something called HDR / tone mapping, which some people think looks better, but it is easily overdone.

I will add to what was said as I think the question is about you already have the image and want to edit or bring out he detail in shadows.

Photoshop is a great tool and has tools that can bring out shadows tones. If you are not doing HDR or LDR then what you could do is this. Create a duplicate layer of your photo and add either an exposure layer, brightness and contrast or use the filters to adjust shadows. Then use that layer and create a mask. Then fill it with black and then select your brush tool ( the soft brush tool) and select the white color with a light oppacity and brush in that area you need more detail in the shadows.

I use nik color effect and use a filter call detail enhancer, its great not just for HDR, LDR but regular photos to bring out details that are there. I would do the same thing is just use nik color effects for details and mask the areas that I would want more.

The outcome will depend if you have enough dynamic range in the image get the detail out from those dark areas, thus why folks that want to capture more detail in their photos use HDR,LDR or manually blend exposures in photoshop.

Trust that this helps!

You have improved your processing immensely in the past few months (several people have commented on it)... and the whale shot comment was not meant to be facetious. I was pulling your leg a little... but I meant it when I said that you had captured it well. I hope that will suffice.....

Well, then I miss read your post and thank you! I am not hear to make enemies but, rather to learn and grow. There is no question that I really like HDR and at this point. I like the photo realistic to the cartoony look as long as it goes with the photo IMO. Its fun processing HDR's and seeing where the image can go. At the same time I do understand that it is not for everyone and understand why people would hate it.

My thought is just to enjoy doing what makes you happy. Life is to short to take things like HDR vs Single photo battles or black and white vs color or POP art vs HDR cartoony......its all a creation and a vision of oneself and thats what makes this world great! If you want a chevy because you can not stand ford then go buy a chevy,,if you want a ferrari because you can not stand porsche then do it and enjoy your time here...but that would suck that because someone does not like the bright yellows and reds ferrari uses that they would go and key their ride...(equivalent of bashing someone on a forum) just for the sake of doing it because you hate it.

I am not one to hold grudges and I do let things go. I would hope that you would be able to do the same and hey maybe with your new lens and camera you might find that you want to take more HDR or LDR and could use some pointers in processing using various methods in photoshop. I would be more than happy to help...point is to help and respect each other.

The processing on this photo is rather good and I had to look hard to find a few things to nit pick on to support giving you sh!t....

enjoy the lens its fun!

Well, then I miss read your post and thank you! I am not hear to make enemies but, rather to learn and grow. There is no question that I really like HDR and at this point. I like the photo realistic to the cartoony look as long as it goes with the photo IMO. Its fun processing HDR's and seeing where the image can go. At the same time I do understand that it is not for everyone and understand why people would hate it.

My thought is just to enjoy doing what makes you happy. Life is to short to take things like HDR vs Single photo battles or black and white vs color or POP art vs HDR cartoony......its all a creation and a vision of oneself and thats what makes this world great! If you want a chevy because you can not stand ford then go buy a chevy,,if you want a ferrari because you can not stand porsche then do it and enjoy your time here...but that would suck that because someone does not like the bright yellows and reds ferrari uses that they would go and key their ride...(equivalent of bashing someone on a forum) just for the sake of doing it because you hate it.

I am not one to hold grudges and I do let things go. I would hope that you would be able to do the same and hey maybe with your new lens and camera you might find that you want to take more HDR or LDR and could use some pointers in processing using various methods in photoshop. I would be more than happy to help...point is to help and respect each other.

The processing on this photo is rather good and I had to look hard to find a few things to nit pick on to support giving you sh!t....

enjoy the lens its fun!

Thanks... no hard feelings! Nicely put!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back