'Ole Time Jam Session

Ajay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dad is a member of an 'ole time music band - sort of like bluegrass, only better. Every Wednesday night they meet at a local coffee shop and anyone who wants to can come and join in the jam session. Finally got a chance to document an evening. Was going for a more old school (to me anyway) black and white feel - grainy and high contrast. I haven't done anything like this in a while so C&C is appreciated.

1-
jam_79.jpg

2-
jam_141.jpg

3- my dad
jam.jpg

4-
jam_166.jpg

5-
jam_63.jpg

6-
jam_154.jpg

7-
jam_93.jpg

8-
jam_72.jpg

Wow, you got some really good shots there Ajay. #1 & 3 are my favorites, but #7 & 8 are close runners. The stickers on the case crack me up, especially the "day pass" one.

The B&W works well. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT - just noticed #3 was your dad.

Thanks kundalini! I had a lot of fun. I really like #3 as well because I know how much my dad loves his Wednesday nights and I love the look on his face. That guys case is hilarious! There are a lot more stickers but I only had my 50mm so I couldn't maneuver enough to get it all in. I like the one about calling in dead. :)

You have some very good shots in that series. Keep up the good work. The B&W + the grain and contrast really work for them. I like #3,7, and 8 the best.

Ajay, I think you captured some of the essence of this type of music making. I'm a big fan of "old time music", and in fact I think I recognize a couple of those old time pickers. I live near Waynesboro, so it's not much of a stretch to have run into some of those folks somewhere.

The instrument in #2 must be a Mando-Banjo, I've never seen one of those before. I like # 1, you don't often see anyone playing a washtub bass, that's old time. Real good shot of your dad.

It looks like they had a good turnout there on Wednesday. You caught the action and brought it here so we could catch a little of that groove. Good job, thanks.

Many thanks everyone. I'm glad I was able to convey the mood I was aiming for. These guys are always a blast to be around. Definitely a peculiar brand of humour. :)

Ronman - Their band is called The Blue Ridge Mountain String Band. I know they play at different musical festivals around VA but I couldn't tell you the names of them. They play on the smaller stage at the Roanoke Civic Center every year (can't think of the exact name of it at the moment). Pretty neat. Thanks for the comments. :sillysmi:

EDIT
The place at the civic center was The Fiddle and Banjo Club, but I just found out it's not there anymore - they play at some middle school instead.

Ajay, good job, I'm sure I've met up with some of those guys, but you know what.......if I've never really see them before.......I know they are friends of mine.

Thanks for the comment JR. I'm really going to have to try and get a shot of the whole case next time I photograph them!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back