olympus 12-40 mm f2.8 vs panasonic leica 12-60 f2.8/4 on olympus e-m10 mkii

Stergios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi
which lens is a better option for better image quality and sharpness?

Hello and welcome, the Pana/Leica for me.....
thanks for your response...have you tried both?which differencies did you notice in terms of IQ and sharpness?will i have problems with leica-panasonic in an e-m10 mkii body?

I would go with the Oly myself. IQ between the two is pretty close and from what I read the Oly just edges the Pana. The constant f2.8 on the Oly will be better especially in low light conditions. So unless you need the extra 20mm or money is an issue I would say the Olympus.

I don't have the Pana/Leica, but I do have the Oly 12-40. I would buy it again, and again. I love the IQ, and it's weather resistant with my EM1.

The title caught my eye 1-40.
Man what a zoom range!
:) i corrected the tittle.Sorry for destroyng your dreams for the existence of a 1-40mm lens!

Has anybody tried both lenses?

Try the below link to look at example pictures. Also, search there for this comparison. I believe there are several threads that compare the two.

This link is going to be to the main “native lens” forum. From here, use he table of contents to go to the brand name for the lenses.

Native Lens Sample Image Showcase

Try the below link to look at example pictures. Also, search there for this comparison. I believe there are several threads that compare the two.

This link is going to be to the main “native lens” forum. From here, use he table of contents to go to the brand name for the lenses.

Native Lens Sample Image Showcase
thanks...i didn't find something really useful.I cannot find opinions from people who use both.

If you just want the overall best lens and money isn't an issue just get the Oly. It's going to be hard finding someone who has used both. The only advantage the Panny has is the extra 20mm and a lighter smaller lens. So if you don't need a lighter lens or the extra 20mm the Oly is the best choice.

And just to add, I would go to a camera store to check out the lens with the em10. It's a large lens and the em10 is a small camera. You may need to buy a grip for the camera for it to feel comfortable. The Panny may feel better on the camera. Definitely check it out.

And just to add, I would go to a camera store to check out the lens with the em10. It's a large lens and the em10 is a small camera. You may need to buy a grip for the camera for it to feel comfortable. The Panny may feel better on the camera. Definitely check it out.
yes,i know that i may need a grip.Both lenses have about the same size and price

David Thorpe does a review of the PL 12-60 that compares with the Oly 12-40 as well as the other Panasonic zooms with comparable range.

I use the Olympus 12-40 2.8 on a Pen-F and find it excellent. David feels the Oly is sharper in the center from what I recall. If you were shooting with a non IBIS camera, the PL might be the better choice. You seem to be shooting Olympus so it is not so much a factor. To me, the 2.8 constant is preferable despite the smaller zoom range. YMMV.

I should probably add that the included lens hood on the Olympus 12-40 2.8 is a steaming pile of horse crap. Do yourself a favor and order the Vello 12-40 hood when (if) you order the lens. Really can't understand the logic here. Just such garbage - all it does is make one question the quality of the lens (which is really quite excellent). Thing fell apart the 3rd outing. Lost the springs and the replacement is expensive. FU Olympus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back